Surat lawyers end strike after 25 daysApril 29th, 2008 - 4:43 pm ICT by admin
Ahmedabad, April 29 (IANS) Lawyers in Gujarat’s Surat district have returned to work after calling off a strike, which lasted 25 days, to protest against a baton charge on advocates by the police. The Surat District Bar Association (SDBA) and Surat City Advocates Association (SCAA) Monday called off the strike, which they had launched to demand the suspension of Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Subhash Trivedi for leading a baton charge by policemen on advocates at the District Collectorate in Surat, about 250 km from here, April 4. The advocates were protesting against a raise in stamp duty.
Police had registered complaints against five lawyers, while Ashit Mehta, an advocate, had filed a complaint against Trivedi.
The decision to end the stir was taken Saturday at a meeting, which was attended by District Judge R.P. Dholeria, Police Commissioner R.M.S Brar, District Collector Dilip Raval, SDBA president Jivraj Vasoya, SCAA president Achal Shah, and other advocates.
- Cop made to do frontrolls in court area, lawyers file complaint (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Cop made to do frontrolls in court area, lawyers file complaint (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Constable forced to roll on court ground, lawyers file complaint - Feb 07, 2012
- Karkardooma clash: Two constables suspended - Feb 24, 2012
- Lawyers' protest paralyses Delhi courts - Apr 07, 2012
- Lawyers clash with police in Jaipur - Jan 11, 2012
- Punjab transfers 30 senior police officers - Aug 05, 2012
- Release cartoonist Trivedi or face protest: Kejriwal - Sep 11, 2012
- Lawyers, policemen injured in clash - Feb 24, 2012
- Lawyers assault media persons, students in Bangalore (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Gujarat probes shooting of inspector by officer - Mar 06, 2010
- Situation calm in Kudankulam, more protestors arrested (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Delhi's lower court lawyers to strike work Jan 20 - Jan 19, 2012
- Lawyers enforce 12-hour shutdown in Odisha - May 08, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi Police on cop's front-rolls (Second lead) - Feb 09, 2012