Supreme Court stops Chhattisgarh from using tribals in Salwa JudumJuly 5th, 2011 - 2:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 5 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday slammed the Chhattisgarh government for using tribals as special police officers (SPOs) in its Salwa Judum counter-insurgency operation against the Maoists, saying this should immediately stop.
An apex court bench of Justice B. Sudershan Reddy and Justice S.S Nijjar directed the Chhattisgarh government to immediately “cease and desist” from recruiting tribals as SPOs for Salwa Jadum.
The court said that the use of such ill-trained and unqualified tribals as SPOs was against the moral and constituional mandate of the government.
The court directed the Chhattisgarh government to recover all the firearms given to SPOs along with the ammunition. It directed the central government to ensure that its finances are not used for funding such illegal activities.
It also ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into an attack on social activist Swami Agnivesh in a tribal area of the state March 23, 2011.
The court order came in the wake of a petition by a Delhi University professor Nandini Sunder seeking a ban on Salwa Jadum activities and relief and rehabilitation of the internally displaced tribals.
- Stop using tribals in Salwa Judum, apex court tells Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Don't divide people into pro, anti-Maoist supporters: Apex court - May 06, 2011
- Appointment of special police officers questioned - Apr 25, 2011
- Supreme Court order will hit anti-Maoist drive: Chhattisgarh officers - Jul 05, 2011
- Court slams Chhattisgarh on issue of burning tribal houses (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Court to Chhattisgarh: respond to plea on Salwa Judum - Aug 11, 2010
- Withdraw troops from schools, apex court tells Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Apex court questions Chhattisgarh on Salwa Judum (Lead) - Aug 11, 2010
- Troopers housed in schools due to exigency: Chhattisgarh - Oct 28, 2010
- Salwa Judum on its way out, Supreme Court told (Lead) - Aug 31, 2010
- Chhattisgarh's terror boys: once feared now fearful (Feature) - Jul 21, 2011
- Tell Chhattisgarh to provide security to agency teams, CBI asks apex court - Sep 07, 2012
- Government to decide soon on review of SPO order - Aug 03, 2011
- Chhattisgarh approves ordinance absorbing SPOs in police - Jul 28, 2011
- Apex court critical of guns for poor Chhattisgarh youth - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: ammunition, apex, apex court, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, central government, chhattisgarh government, court bench, delhi university, firearms, illegal activities, mandate, maoists, New Delhi, salwa judum, special police officers, swami, tribal area, tribals, university professor