Supreme Court stays Jaffer Sharief’s trial in graft caseJuly 4th, 2012 - 1:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) The Supreme Court Wednesday stayed the trial of former railway minister C.K. Jaffer Sharief in an alleged corruption case under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The apex court bench headed by Justice P. Sathasivam also issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) seeking its reply on the former railway minister’s plea.
It gave investigating agency two weeks to file its reply. Appearing for Sharief, senior counsel. P.P. Rao told the court that the CBI are trying to “make mountain out of a mole hill.”
In a case dating back to 1995, the former railway minister is facing charges of misusing his office and causing loss to the public exchequer by taking along with him his personal staff on his visit to London for a heart operation.
The CBI had alleged that Sharief forced the managing directors of two public sector undertakings to sanction travel for four of his employees.
Sharief had moved the Supreme Court seeking suspension of the court proceedings against him in the first week of May, after the Delhi High Court took cognizance of the case and proceeded against him. It rejected the CBI closure report in the case for want of official sanction to prosecute him.
- No relief for ex-railway minister in graft case - Apr 12, 2012
- Court frames graft charges against Jafer Sharief - Jul 04, 2012
- Court allows Arun Nehru to skip graft trial - Sep 12, 2012
- SC reserves order in Mayawati's assets case (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- SC reserves order in Mayawati's assets case - May 01, 2012
- SC quashes CBI probe against Mayawati in graft case (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- 2G case: CBI opposes government on Swamy's plea - Sep 27, 2011
- Trial court to decide on Chidambaram's role in 2G (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Sikkim notification on corruption probes by CBI challenged - Jan 23, 2012
- Apex court frowns on PM's silence over Raja - Nov 16, 2010
- UP foodgrain scam: Apex court seeks CBI's response (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Review sought of ruling on public servant's prosecution (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to CBI in minister's killing - Dec 15, 2011
- SC rejects Gujarat's plea to review Prajapati shootout order - Jul 13, 2012
- Dinakaran probe: P.P. Rao out of judges' panel - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: alleged corruption, apex court, cbi, central bureau of investigation, closure report, cognizance, corruption case, court bench, court proceedings, delhi high court, graft case, heart operation, investigating agency, jaffer, mole hill, personal staff, prevention of corruption act, public sector undertakings, railway minister, senior counsel