Supreme Court refuses urgent hearing over IPL team nameApril 16th, 2008 - 10:33 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) The Supreme Court Wednesday refused to accord an urgent hearing to a lawsuit objecting to the name ‘The Royal Challengers’, given by liquor baron Vijay Mallya to his Bangalore team of the Indian Premier League (IPL). A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan and Justice R.V. Raveendran said there was no urgency in the plea that sought to restrain Mallya from using that name.
Kishan Kumar Aggarwal, a Faridabad-based resident, filed the petition alleging that under the garb of ‘The Royal Challengers Bangalore Team’, Mallya-owned United Breweries (UB) group was seeking to promote its liquor brands.
Aggarwal’s counsel sought urgent hearing, saying the IPL tournament was scheduled to start Friday.
The bench also questioned the petitioner’s motive. “You are from which brand? Are you also promoting some brand,” it asked.
Aggarwal, a septuagenarian, contended in his petition that while Indian Cable Network Act, 1995, prohibits the advertisement of liquor brands in any form, the match telecast will only end up promoting the UB group brands.
He sought the court’s direction that the Bangalore team should not be allowed to play in the league till it changes its name.
Besides the UB Group, the petitioner has named the central government, information and broadcasting ministry and Sony TV, which has exclusive IPL telecast rights, as respondents.
- Harbhajan slaps legal notice on UB Group for Dhoni ad - Jul 18, 2011
- UB Group sells stake in F1 team to Sahara - Oct 12, 2011
- Court throws out case over IPL Bangalore team's name - Apr 28, 2008
- Kingfisher was official beer at New York tennis tourney - Jul 27, 2012
- Glitz, glamour and moolah will mark IPL auction - Jan 07, 2011
- United Breweries launches locally brewed Heineken beer - Sep 13, 2011
- Shah Rukh Khan to buy stake in I-League champions Dempo - Jun 01, 2012
- Vijay Mallya hands over Mohun Bagan baton to son - Dec 20, 2010
- Gambhir tops the list of money bags - Jan 08, 2011
- Mallya ties up with Dutch brewer Heineken in India - Dec 07, 2009
- Arrested cricketer won't play for RCB, says Mallya - May 18, 2012
- Royal Challengers sign Parameswaran - May 05, 2012
- IPL controversy blown out of proportion: Mallya - Apr 24, 2010
- Liquor baron to give away short film awards at IFFI - Nov 29, 2010
- Elections for top KSCA posts held in Bangalore - Nov 21, 2010