Supreme Court refuses to try Husain for ‘obscene’ paintingsSeptember 8th, 2008 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 8 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday dismissed a plea to prosecute well known painter M.F. Husain for his allegedly obscene paintings of Hindu goddesses and hurting religious sentiments.A bench of Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan dismissed the plea saying: “There are many such pictures, paintings and sculptures and some of them are in temples also.”
The plea was made by Maharashtra-based Dwaipayan Venkateshacharya Varkhedkar, challenging a Delhi High Court ruling that had stalled the criminal proceedings against Husain at various courts in Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat on complaints by individuals.
The bench, which also included Justice P. Sathasivam and Justice J.M. Panchal, dismissed the plea, discarding the petitioner’s argument that the noted painter was taking advantage of his age and reputation to get away with the law.
It found no merit in allegations of “obscene depiction” of Bharat Mata or Mother India in one of his paintings after scrutinizing the work.
Husain’s works have invited threats from Hindu groups like Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and Bajrag Dal, forcing him to live in a self-imposed exile in Dubai.
- Dikshit mourns Husain's demise - Jun 09, 2011
- Husain's death a national loss: PM - Jun 09, 2011
- President mourns Husain's death - Jun 09, 2011
- Apex court moved to end Husain's self-exile (Lead) - Feb 26, 2010
- In exile, Husain wanted to destroy his paintings: Son - Jul 04, 2011
- India has lost an iconic artist: PM (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Husain's paintings removed from India Art Summit - Jan 21, 2011
- Panther's Party moves apex court to bring back Husain - Feb 26, 2010
- India mourns Husain's death as a national loss (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Shameful that Husain couldn't be in homeland: Twitterati - Jun 09, 2011
- M.F. Husain 'Through The Eyes Of A Painter' (Chronology) - Jun 09, 2011
- BCCI amendment: Petition sent to Supreme Court larger bench - Apr 28, 2011
- London art fair to highlight Husain's work - Feb 16, 2011
- Bal Thackeray prays for 'eccentric, adamant' Hussain - Jun 09, 2011
- Government mourns Husain's death, says it's a national loss - Jun 09, 2011