Supreme Court notice to Kerala Police on Italian shipApril 10th, 2012 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday issued notice to Kerala Police and the state’s mercantile marine department on a petition by the owners of Italian ship MT Enrica Lexie seeking a direction for its release so that it could continue with its voyage, having been detained after two of its crew killed two Indian fishermen in February.
Notice has also been issued to the central government and one Goramma, the widow of one of the two fishermen who were killed by the Italian Marines on board the ship.
The apex court bench headed by Justice R.M. Lodha issued notice after senior counsel K.K. Venugopal said the two Italian Marines were already in police custody and their firearms had been seized.
The senior counsel told the court that the ship had nothing to do with the offence and in no way formed the property of the case.
The petition by the ship MT Enrica Lexie has challenged the Kerala High Court order detaining the Italian ship by staying the single judge order that permitted the ship to go.
The apex court was told that a 100,000 tonne ship has incurred a loss of Rs.200 crore ever since it was detained at the Kochi port and its losses were adding up every day.
The two Indian fishermen were allegedly mistaken as pirates and shot dead by the marines aboard Enrica Lexie Feb 15 off the coast of Alappuzha, Kerala.
- Supreme Court notice to Kerala Police on Italian ship (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Italy moves apex court for marines' custody, government flip-flops (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Italian government, fishermen kin pact void: Apex court (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Apex court frowns on Italian ship case developments (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Supreme Court permits Italian ship to leave (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Apex court frowns on Italian ship case developments - Apr 30, 2012
- Suprme Court permits Italian ship to leave (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Italian ship's release difficult unless commitment on marines: Court - May 01, 2012
- Kerala court denies bail to Italian marines (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Italy moves apex court for custody of its Marines - Apr 20, 2012
- Italian ship set to leave - May 05, 2012
- Italian Marines can't be tried in India: Counsel - Feb 23, 2012
- Kerala to hire senior lawyer for Marines case - Apr 25, 2012
- Kerala court dismisses pleas of Italian Marines - May 29, 2012
- Court stays trial of Italian marines till July 30 - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, central government, court bench, crore, enrica, firearms, indian fishermen, italian ship, kerala high court, lodha, marines, mercantile marine department, New Delhi, offence, police custody, rs 200, senior counsel, two fishermen, venugopal