Supreme Court nod on river interlinkingFebruary 27th, 2012 - 1:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 27 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday gave the green signal for implementing the ambitious project to interlink India’s rivers, saying it was in national interest.
An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia also constituted a high-powered committee headed by the water resources minister to work out the roadmap for the project.
The court said that the committee will meet at least once in two months and its recommendations will be considered by the cabinet within 30 days of receipt.
Pronouncing the judgment, Justice Swatanter Kumar said: “The project is in the national interest and we find no reason why any state or the centre would oppose this,” adding that it should be implemented as expeditiously as possible.
The project was concieved about five decades ago and received a boost in 2002 when Atal Bihari Vajpayee, as the prime minister, gave it a new thrust.
- Supreme Court gives nod to interlinking rivers (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Supreme Court nod on river interlinking (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Apex court approves reclamation of Karnataka mines - Apr 13, 2012
- SC asks CBI to probe if Yeddyurappa kin got kickbacks (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Apex court pulls up three states on vehicle number plates - Aug 31, 2011
- Panel to give guidelines on prepaid connections - Apr 27, 2012
- Chief Justice Kapadia releases restatement of law - Oct 12, 2011
- Government panel wants natural resources' auction, SC told - Jul 11, 2012
- Panel to give guidelines on prepaid connections (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Apex court order in Yeddyurappa case next week (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Apex court approves reclamation of Karnataka mines (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Poor school students' quota: Apex court verdict Thursday - Apr 11, 2012
- Supreme Court to decide CVC's fate Thursday - Mar 02, 2011
- Guidelines to be framed for prepaid connections (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Vodafone needn't pay tax for Hutch acquisition: Supreme Court - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: ambitious project, apex, apex court, bihari vajpayee, chief justice, court bench, court nod, decades, India, judgment, kapadia, national interest, New Delhi, prime minister, receipt, rivers, roadmap, supreme court, thrust, water resources