Supreme Court judge Sudershan Reddy retiresJuly 7th, 2011 - 11:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) Two days after delivering a judgment against use of tribals as special police officers (SPOs) in anti-Maoist operations in Chhattisgarh, Supreme Court’s Justice B. Sudershan Reddy retired Thursday.
In his judgment directing the disarming of the SPOs, Justice Reddy gave words to his anguish on the state policy, saying that on “one hand the state subsidises the private sector, giving it tax break after tax break, while simultaneously citing lack of revenues as the primary reason for not fulfilling its obligations to provide adequate cover to the poor through social welfare measures”.
Justice Reddy, 65, said that while the state was accommodating the rich and the powerful, it sought to arm the youngsters amongst the poor with guns to combat the anger and unrest amongst the poor (arising out of their desperate conditions).
Born July 8, 1946, Justice Reddy was elevated to the apex court Jan 12, 2007. Till then, he was the chief justice of the Gauhati High Court.
Six more apex court judges will retire in the next four months. Justice R.V. Raveendran will be the last of the six to retire Oct 15.
Others who will retire before him are Justice V.S. Sirpurkar Aug 22, Justice H.S. Bedi Sep 5, Justice Mukundakam Sharma Sep 18, Justice Markandey Katju Sep 20, and Justice J.M. Panchal Oct 6.
Though the sanctioned strength of apex court is 31 judges, including Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia, it is short of three judges.
- Stop using tribals in Salwa Judum, apex court tells Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- Bhopal tragedy: Apex court questions CBI for delay in plea - Apr 13, 2011
- Supreme Court ruling on money laundering probe Monday (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Supreme Court extends ban on non-iodized salt sale - Jul 10, 2011
- Bhopal tragedy: Apex court comments on its own verdict - Apr 20, 2011
- Bhopal tragedy: Supreme Court questions CBI for delay in plea (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Katju to head Press Council - Oct 05, 2011
- Bhopal tragedy: Apex court comments on its own verdict (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Bhopal tragedy: Hearing on harsher charges begins Wednesday - Apr 12, 2011
- Black money case: Apex court reserves verdict (Lead) - Sep 01, 2011
- Apex court extends ban on non-iodized salt sale (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Don't divide people into pro, anti-Maoist supporters: Apex court - May 06, 2011
- Government wants review of apex court's black money order - Jul 15, 2011
- Bhopal case verdict review a judicial compulsion: Apex court told - Apr 19, 2011
- New bench of apex court to hear 2G review plea - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,