Supreme Court hints Pakistani virologist may get reliefMay 7th, 2012 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 7 (IANS) Even as the central government Monday resisted Mohammad Khalil Chisty’s plea seeking permission to travel to Pakistan, the Supreme Court indicated it may grant relief with certain conditions to the Pakistani virologist who was earlier granted bail in a 20-year-old murder case in India.
An apex court bench headed by Justice P. Sathasivam asked Additional Solicitor General Mohan Prasaran to seek instructions from the home and foreign ministries on the conditions that could be imposed on Chisty to secure his return for his presence before it in proceedings wherein he has challenged his conviction and sentencing in the murder case.
The court also said as a special case, it would expedite Chisty’s appeal against the awarding of life imprisonment and hear the matter in October or November.
Chisty was awarded life imprisonment for the death of a person in a brawl when he was visiting Ajmer in April 1992. He was granted bail by the apex court April 9 which had then asked him to make a separate plea for permission to visit Pakistan.
- Apex court hints Pakistani virologist may get relief (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea - May 04, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Zardari sending plane to fly Chisty home - May 15, 2012
- Apex court grants bail to Chisti, appreciates India-Pakistan bonhomie (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- SC grants bail to Pakistani doctor Chisty - Apr 09, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Khalil Chisti's release to take a few days - Apr 09, 2012
- Bail to Chisty comes at a significant time, says nephew - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chisti steps out of jail - Apr 11, 2012
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
- Pakistan hails Indian bail to doctor - Apr 09, 2012
- Not a single dry eye as Chisty meets family - May 17, 2012
Tags: ajmer, apex, apex court, central government, chisty, conviction, court bench, India, life imprisonment, mohammad khalil, mohan, murder case, New Delhi, pakistan, plea, presence, proceedings, solicitor general, supreme court, virologist