Supreme Court gives Japanese grandmother custody of ManjiAugust 20th, 2008 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 20 (IANS) The Supreme Court Wednesday allowed 74-year-old Japanese woman Emiko Yamada to take custody of her 25-day-old grandaughter Manji, born to an Indian surrogate mother.A bench of Justices Arijit Pasayat and M.K. Sharma also asked the NGO Satya to explain its locus standi on the matter. Satya is opposing custody being given to the Japanese relatives saying that Manji is an abandoned baby.
Solicitor General of India G.E. Vahanvati has been asked to appear before the court on the next date of hearing to clarify the central government’s stand on various issues arising out of the baby’s birth — including who her parents are in the absence of surrogacy laws in India and her citizenship.
Manji, born in Gujarat’s Anand town, got entangled in a legal tussle as Indian laws prohibit the child’s divorced Japanese father from taking her custody.
The baby’s parents, Ikufumi Yamada, 45, and his wife Yuki Yamada, 41, came to India a year ago and hired the services of a surrogate mother. The couple separated and then divorced during the pregnancy for the baby.
Soon after the baby was born and shifted to Ahmedabad, the city was hit by serial bombings. Manji was then moved to a hospital in Jaipur, where she is now being looked after.
- Mumbai college to host moot court on surrogacy - Aug 20, 2008
- Supreme Court extends custody of surrogate baby Manjhi to her grandmother - Aug 20, 2008
- Supreme Court to hear infant Manji's case Wednesday - Aug 19, 2008
- Supreme Court seeks government's views on surrogate birth (Lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- Government to decide on Baby Manji's travel papers in a month - Sep 29, 2008
- 'Surrogacy a $445 mn business in India' - Aug 25, 2008
- Japanese granny gets custody of baby born to surrogate mother - Aug 14, 2008
- Japanese child stuck in India's Jaipur - Aug 07, 2008
- Can law come to little Manji's rescue? - Aug 07, 2008
- Manji gets birth certificate with father's name - Aug 09, 2008
- Japanese grandmother files papers for migration of surrogate baby - Oct 13, 2008
- Japanese surrogate baby leaves for Japan from Jaipur today - Nov 01, 2008
- Japanese father has problems taking possession of the surrogate baby - Aug 13, 2008
- India becoming a designer baby factory: Author Kishwar Desai (With Image) - May 31, 2012
- Indian surrogacy brings twin delights to Australian couple - Jan 08, 2012