Supreme Court asks CBI to prosecute Punjab Assembly speakerNovember 27th, 2008 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 26 (IANS) The Supreme Court has ordered prosecution of Punjab Assembly Speaker Nirmal Singh Kahlon for allegedly taking bribes as state minister between 1997 and 2002.A bench of Justice S.B. Sinha and Justice Aftab Alam ordered the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to start prosecuting Kahlon in a verdict delivered Oct 22. The ruling, however, was released later.
The bench ordered prosecution of the speaker, dismissing his appeal against a Punjab and Haryana High Court ruling, which had ordered the CBI to probe the allegations that Kahlon as rural development and Panchayat minister in the Akali Dal-BJP government between 1997 and 2002, Kahlon had accepted bribes.
Kahlon had approached the apex court in 2005 contending that the high court was not empowered to order the CBI to take up the probe of any criminal case unless the state government entrusts the task to it.
While taking up Kahlon’s plea in 2005, the apex court had ordered the CBI to continue probing the case.
The apex court, however, on Oct 22 dismissed Kahlon’s plea and ordered the CBI to file its probe report in the relevant trial court of Punjab as the CBI probe was over by then.
The high court had in May 2003 ordered the Punjab gopvernment to hand over the investigation of the case to the CBI. The case involved acceptance of graft and several other irregularities in selection of 909 panchayat secretaries by the Akali Dal-BJP government.
- CBI court grants Punjab speaker interim bail - Aug 17, 2010
- Punjab speaker acquitted in corruption case - May 19, 2011
- Punjab speaker's anticipatory bail plea rejected - Aug 14, 2010
- Punjab speaker granted anticipatory bail in graft case - Aug 26, 2010
- Graft case: Punjab assembly speaker gets interim bail - Aug 16, 2010
- Punjab cabinet refuses to sanction speaker's prosecution - Dec 22, 2009
- Punjab Assembly Speaker granted anticipatory bail in graft case - Aug 17, 2010
- Congress demands Punjab speaker's resignation - Jul 12, 2010
- Apex court clears way for Chautala brothers' prosecution (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
- CBI waiting for Punjab nod to prosecute assembly speaker - Dec 10, 2009
- 2G: Apex court notice to CBI on Behura's bail (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- CBI summons two Punjab ministers in graft case - May 08, 2011
- Supreme Court rejects plea for probe against Naidu - Jul 23, 2012
- Apex Court to hear Nupur, Rajesh Tawlar's review petition - Mar 15, 2012
- Sohrabuddin case: Shah opposes apex court's CBI probe order - Nov 24, 2011