‘Superstitious’ woman burns herself, two daughters aliveOctober 5th, 2011 - 1:24 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 4 (IANS) A “superstitious” woman set afire her two daughters before setting herself on fire in an attempt at exorcism, police said Tuesday. All the three succumbed to their injuries.
Romila, who lived with her husband Dinesh Kumar and her two daughters — Jaya, 5, and Geeta 3 — at Jahangirpuri in north Delhi, waited till her husband left for work Monday morning before she locked herself and her daughters in a room, poured kerosene oil on all of them and lit a fire.
Spotting smoke and flames coming out of the house, a neighbour informed the Police Control Room.
Meanwhile, other neighbours rescued the victims and took them to Babu Jag Jivan Ram hospital.
While Romila and her younger daughter succumbed to their injuries in the same hospital, Geeta who had suffered 80 percent burn injuries, was shifted to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital. She succumbed during treatment early Tuesday.
Police have termed it a case of mass suicide and therefore no case was registered in connection with the incident.
“It has been learnt that for past a couple of days, Romila used to talk about supernatural phenomenon with her neighbours. It a clear case of suicide and that is why no case has been registered,” said a senior police officer.
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- Two attempt self-immolation, 78-year-old dead - Mar 10, 2011
- Woman forced into prostitution by husband ends life - Apr 16, 2012
- Cancer patient commits suicide - Aug 18, 2012
- Minor girl dies of burns, kin allege rape, murder - Jun 25, 2011
- Teenager set on fire for resisting rape, dies - Mar 28, 2011
- Husband, wife commit suicide - Jan 25, 2012
- Rape victim succumbs to burn injuries - Apr 18, 2012
- Woman burns mother to death for property, held - Nov 05, 2011
- Woman sets herself on fire in Delhi - Apr 30, 2012
- Minor girl raped, burnt alive - Jan 29, 2012
- Man commits suicide by jumping before Metro train - Mar 03, 2012
- Girl burnt to death for rejecting marriage proposal - Jul 24, 2011
- Woman immolates self, two children in Moradabad - Jun 15, 2011
- Housewife shot at her house - Nov 09, 2011
Tags: clear case, couple of days, early tuesday, exorcism, geeta, jai, kerosene oil, lok, mass suicide, monday morning, nayak, neighbour, neighbours, New Delhi, north delhi, police officer, prakash, supernatural phenomenon, two daughters, younger daughter