Superintendent suspended for alcohol, mobiles in jailApril 7th, 2008 - 4:34 pm ICT by admin
Raipur, April 7 (IANS) The superintendent of Raipur Central Jail was Monday suspended for his role in providing alcohol, mobile phones and other facilities to prisoners, officials said. Jail superintendent S.K. Mishra and several other officials were last week charged in a crime branch report for their alleged involvement in supplying drugs, alcohol and mobile phones to inmates at the high-profile prison.
The jail houses around 2,200 prisoners, of which about 200 are Maoist insurgents.
P.D. Verma, deputy inspector general (jail), said Mishra was suspended after alcohol, drugs, mobile phones and knives were recovered from inmates in a raid by a crime branch squad April 2, which revealed a nexus among jail officials and the prisoners.
“Mishra has been suspended and jail authorities across the state have been asked to strictly implement jail manuals and rules,” Verma told IANS by phone.
The issue of security in Chhattisgarh jails and revolts by prisoner over illegal demands has hit headlines in the state in recent months.
Jail authorities were last month forced to shift Maoist ultras from Ambikapur jail to Bilaspur central jail to check their influence inside the prison.
In December 2007, a group of jailed Maoists in Dantewada overpowered prison guards and 299 inmates escaped, including over 100 Maoists.
The government had later admitted that there was a nexus between jail officials and Maoist prisoners. Dantewada jailer B.S. Mankar was arrested on charges of sedition.
- Jails housing Maoists to have mobile phone jammers - Feb 27, 2010
- Bihar jail to auction 500 mobile phones - Jun 11, 2012
- Case against jail staff after mobiles found in raid - Feb 07, 2011
- Jail warden held for providing mobiles to inmates - May 06, 2012
- Mobiles, drugs for prisoners in Chhattisgarh jail: police - Apr 04, 2008
- Mobile phones seized in Bihar jail - Jun 23, 2011
- 379 Maoists on hunger strike in Chhattisgarh jail - Jan 13, 2011
- Probe ordered against Punjab jail official - May 07, 2012
- Manhunt launched after 8 escape from Haryana jail - Jan 18, 2012
- Lingaram Kodopi and Soni Sori: Chhattisgarh's prisoners of conscience (Special Report) - Aug 04, 2012
- Maoists push farmers to grow marijuana - Aug 17, 2012
- Mumbai jail's women inmates go on hunger strike - Dec 26, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Indian-origin lawyer who smuggled drugs into prisons faces jail - Mar 07, 2012
- Gunfire in Meerut jail as cops, inmates clash - Apr 18, 2012