‘Super 30′ in Punjab to find under-privileged talentMay 15th, 2010 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 15 (IANS) ‘Super 30′ fame Ramanujan School of Mathematics (RSM), which is helping poor but brilliant students from Bihar villages to enter IITs, has joined hands with US-based Bhai Jaitajee Foundation (BJF) to provide an opportunity to poor children in Punjab to become a part of their programme.
For the first time, Super 30 has moved out of Bihar and is organising an entrance test for Punjab students June 5, the last date of applying for which is May 25.
“We are committed to provide an equal opportunity to Punjab students on merit basis. BJF has made all the arrangements of test at Patiala on June 5. They are exhaustively advertising about this test to spread awareness in even the remotest areas of the state,” Anand Kumar, founder of RSM, told reporters here Saturday.
“This year, besides Bihar, we are conducting tests in Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Jharkhand. We have also decided to increase the seats to 60 for the Super 30 programme.”
Any student of Class 11 or 12 (non-medical) or those who have already passed Class 12 (in 2009 and 2010), with parent’s income not more than Rs.200,000 per annum can sit for this test.
In the last seven years (from 2003 to 2009), 182 out of 210 Super 30 candidates have got selected into the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). In 2008 and 2009, all the 30 students cracked the IIT entrance exam.
Harpal Singh, chairman of BJF, said: “We are focused on assisting the brightest students from Punjab’s rural area to get access to higher education through such initiatives. We would meet the costs RSM would incur in training IIT aspirants from Punjab.”
- From Punjab to Bihar to IIT, three 'super' stories - May 29, 2011
- 27/30: Bihar's Super 30 shines again in IIT-JEE results - May 18, 2012
- IIT Council's decision hasty: Super 30 founder - Jun 28, 2012
- 24 of Bihar's Super 30 crack IIT-JEE this year - May 25, 2011
- Japanese impressed by Bihar's Super 30 - Jul 01, 2011
- Coaching for 30 poor IIT aspirants in Maharashtra - Jul 03, 2012
- Super 30 founder welcomes IIT test reforms - Mar 27, 2011
- Bihar's famed coaching institute now in Assam - Jul 11, 2010
- IIT exam panel behind poor student quality: Super 30 founder - Oct 05, 2011
- Bihar's Super 30 coaching idea wins high praise in Canada - Feb 21, 2012
- Super 30's IIT-JEE success story brings joy again - May 18, 2012
- Bihar centre for poor IIT aspirants impresses Obama envoy - Aug 08, 2010
- Bihar's Super 30 impresses Hollywood's James Cameron - Dec 14, 2010
- Now, Bihar's Super 30 free coaching model in other states - Apr 05, 2010
- Punjab to copy Bihar model for rural IIT aspirants - Mar 31, 2010
Tags: brilliant students, equal opportunity, fame, haryana, higher education, iit entrance exam, indian institutes of technology, initiatives, institutes of technology, last date, merit basis, patiala, punjab, rs 200, rsm, rural area, school of mathematics, seven years, technology iits, uttar pradesh