Sunlight, low anti-oxidant levels likely to damage visionOctober 14th, 2008 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 14 (IANS) The combination of low antioxidant levels and exposure to sunlight may damage certain kinds of vision. It is also linked with age-related macular degeneration (AMD).Animal and lab studies suggest that blue light or short-wavelength light may damage the retina and contribute to the development of AMD, which occurs when the area of the retina (macula) responsible for sharp vision deteriorates.
“The retina is vulnerable to the damaging effects of light,” the authors of the study wrote. “While wavelengths in the UV (ultra violet) radiation range are largely absorbed by the cornea and lens, the retina is exposed to visible light, including blue light”.
Antioxidant enzymes - including vitamins C and E, the carotenoids (lutein and zeaxanthin) and zinc - may protect against the harmful effects of blue light on the retina, according to a release of American Medical Assocation.
Astrid E. Fletcher of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and colleagues measured levels of these nutrients in the blood of 4,753 older adults (average age 73.2) who were part of the European Eye Study.
Participants also were interviewed about their lifetime sunlight exposure and had photographs taken of their retinas to detect AMD.
Of the 4,400 participants with complete information available, 2,117 did not have AMD, 101 had neovascular (advanced, involving the formation of new blood vessels) AMD and 2,182 had early-stage AMD.
Overall, there was no association between blue light exposure and early AMD. However, blue light exposure was associated with neovascular AMD in the one-fourth of individuals with lowest antioxidant levels.
The study was published in the October issue of Archives of Ophthalmology.
- Grapes can stave off age-related blindness - Jan 15, 2012
- It's official: Carrots do help boost vision - Jun 19, 2009
- Daily dose of nutrients could save your sight - Jul 02, 2010
- Leafy veggies, colored fruits boost vision - Dec 18, 2009
- Infrared light stops eye damage caused by bright lights - May 14, 2012
- Prosthetic retina shows promise in restoring sight - May 18, 2012
- Early AMD linked to smoking, cholesterol levels - Jun 15, 2010
- Blue light-filtering lens may protect against age-related vision loss - Oct 27, 2009
- Near infra-red light can heal damaged vision - Apr 20, 2011
- Green tea may help fight glaucoma - Apr 22, 2010
- Omega-3 in seafood may protect seniors' eyes - Dec 02, 2010
- Cataract surgery doesn't worsen age-related macular degeneration - Nov 10, 2009
- Vitamin A pill 'can prevent old-age related blindness in millions' - Oct 18, 2010
- Green tea may help fight eye diseases - Apr 22, 2010
- Anorexia nervosa 'causes potentially serious eye damage' - Oct 20, 2010