Sundarban tiger was killed by poachers: officialOctober 7th, 2008 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 7 (IANS) A tiger carcass was found floating on the river in West Bengal’s Sundarbans Monday, and the wildlife officials confirmed Tuesday that the big cat was killed by wildlife poachers.”The post-mortem examination, which was conducted at Alipur zoo in Kolkata, confirmed the full-grown male tiger was killed by bullet shot. It received a head injury and died of serious brain haemorrhage,” director of Sundarbans Tiger Reserve Niraj Singhal told IANS.
“A three-member medical board was also constituted to carry out the post-mortem examination Tuesday. I think the tiger was killed by the poachers between 24-72 hours - that is within the last three days,” he said.
Sources said, a group of tourists from Hatibagan in Kolkata first noticed the carcass in the river between the Bidya and Sajnekhali forests in Sundarbans Monday. They raised an alarm, after which forest officials rushed to the spot and pulled up the body from the water.
Senior veterinary doctors accompanied the team and initially kept the body at the Dobanki forest range. The carcass was then taken to Kolkata after a thorough examination.
“Primary investigation suggests the offenders were not professional poachers. Perhaps they came to kill deer but suddenly they came across the tiger which they had to kill,” Singhal said.
He said the claws, skin and teeth of the tiger were found intact.
- Elephant found dead in West Bengal - Nov 06, 2009
- Mamata enjoys relaxing day at Sundarbans - Feb 02, 2012
- Tigers facing doom in Bangladesh? - Jul 30, 2011
- Woman killed by tiger in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 05, 2011
- Tiger mauls woman to death - Feb 17, 2012
- Bandhavgarh tigress died due to vehicle hit, say officials - May 21, 2010
- Tigers sneak out of Sundarbans forest in West Bengal - Jan 03, 2010
- 18 peacock carcasses found, poisoning suspected - Mar 22, 2011
- Over 200 or 70: Difference in Sundarbans tiger numbers? - Mar 28, 2011
- Nine peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Dec 10, 2011
- Tigress killed in Chhattisgarh park - Nov 17, 2011
- Bihar to celeberate Dolphin Day - Sep 04, 2012
- Goa forest department drags feet in tiger poaching case - Feb 08, 2010
- Tiger found dead in Sariska - Nov 15, 2010
- Alert officials foil rhino poaching in Assam - Jan 23, 2012