Sukhoi skids at Pune airport, flights hitApril 19th, 2012 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, April 19 (IANS) A Sukhoi-30 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force skidded and shot off the runway at the Pune airport here Thursday, hitting civilian air traffic, officials said.
“The Sukhoi-30 skidded around 9 a.m. today and got stuck in the soft mud beside the runway of the airport, which is owned and manned by Indian Air Force (IAF). We have no reports of any casualties in the incident,” an official told IANS, requesting anonymity.
As a result, at least 10 civilian flights from around the country to Pune were either delayed or diverted to Mumbai.
The IAF and Airport Authority of India crews were engaged till about 12.30 p.m. in efforts to tow the fighter jet out of the mud off the runway.
The airport officials said the airport would resume normal civilian flight operations later Thursday. The airport at Lohegaon on the outskirts of Pune is a major IAF base.
Defence officials in Mumbai, when contacted, declined to comment on the incident.
- Air India flight skids off runway in Kanpur - Jul 20, 2011
- Plane removed, operations resume at Mumbai airport runway - Sep 05, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Herculean efforts on at Mumbai to move stuck aircraft - Sep 03, 2011
- Mumbai airport's main runway not yet functional - Sep 04, 2011
- IAF Sukhoi jet crashes near Pune, pilots safe - Dec 13, 2011
- Plane skids off runway at Kochi airport, two injured - Aug 29, 2011
- IAF Sukhoi jet crashes near Pune, pilots safe (Third Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Crash-hit Sukhois get Indian Air Force chief's thumbs up - Dec 21, 2011
- Tendulkar, Dhoni to fly in Sukhoi combat jets - Jun 30, 2011
- Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfall - Sep 03, 2011
- IAF's Sukhois to roar close to Pakistan border - Sep 30, 2011
- Gulf Air flight makes emergency landing in Mumbai, all aboard safe - Nov 11, 2009
- Navy cuts sorties to allow civilian traffic at Goa airport - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: airport authority of india, airport officials, anonymity, casualties, civilian air traffic, civilian flight, civilian flights, defence officials, fighter aircraft, fighter jet, flight operations, iaf, indian air force, outskirts, skids, soft mud, sukhoi 30, traffic officials