Sukhbir Badal sworn in as chief minister father’s deputyJanuary 21st, 2009 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, Jan 21 (IANS) In an event unprecedented in India’s political history, a father and son Wednesday began their rule over Punjab as chief minister and deputy chief minister, with Sukhbir Singh Badal being sworn in here as Parkash Singh Badal’s second in command. The oath-taking ceremony was attended by thousands of ruling Akali Dal supporters, many of them ferried to this Sikh holy city for the event.
A visibly happy Chief Minister Badal, 83, said it was important to bring in more young blood into the government.
“I hope he (Sukhbir) will be able to take care of his new responsibility and duty well. We already have young blood in the government. It was important to get more young blood in the interest of the state,” Badal senior said here.
Sukhbir Badal’s elevation as deputy chief minister is seen as the Akali Dal’s attempt to target the young ahead of parliamentary elections April-May this year.
Badal senior brushed aside any resentment in alliance partner Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) over the elevation of his son as deputy chief minister.
“This is not my decision alone. It was taken by our party (Akali Dal) leadership. We consulted the leadership of the alliance partner (BJP) on this,” Badal said.
The chief minister said the portfolios of present ministers would not be disturbed to give ministerial assignments to Sukhbir.
“Giving portfolios is my discretion… We will decide it in one-two days. The portfolios will come from what I am holding or what (Bikram Singh) Majithia had,” Badal said.
He was referring to Sukhbir’s brother-in-law (wife’s brother) Bikram Singh Majithia, who resigned his cabinet berth last week to make way for Sukhbir to be sworn in as deputy chief minister. Majithia had held the information and public relations and public health portfolios.
- Badal takes over as Punjab CM for fifth time (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal sworn in as chief minister father's deputy (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Parkash Singh Badal set to again be Punjab chief minister (Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- Relatives find enough place in Badal cabinet - Mar 13, 2012
- Badal allocates portfolios, son keeps home, excise - Mar 15, 2012
- Sukhbir's stamp all over Badal government (Punjab Newsletter) - Mar 17, 2012
- Three Badal government ministers resign in six months (News Analysis) - Sep 18, 2012
- Badal stakes claim, invited to form government (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- 'Parkash Singh Badal to be chief minister' - Mar 08, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP create history in Punjab, surprise Congress (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- Akali Dal announces 48 names for Punjab assembly polls - Dec 23, 2011
- Sukhbir Badal leads with biggest margin - Mar 06, 2012
- Badal to begin fifth term as chief minister Wednesday - Mar 13, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012