Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to jail (Lead)January 7th, 2012 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) Ailing former telecom minister Sukh Ram Saturday surrendered in a Delhi court in a graft case and was sent to jail. The 84-year-old appeared in the court premises in an ambulance.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Sanjeev Jain came out of the court room to the ambulance to meet Sukh Ram, who is accused of showing undue favour to a cable supply company and accepting Rs.3 lakh as bribe when he was a minister.
In 2002, he was awarded a three-year jail term under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Earlier Saturday, Special Judge Jain directed Sukh Ram to surrender as soon as possible. “He can’t go beyond (Delhi) high court’s order as the court had asked him to surrender before the trial court,” Jain said.
He asked Sukh Ram’s counsel to “send him as soon as possible”. Sukh Ram has been undergoing treatment at a hospital in Delhi.
Sukh Ram’s counsel, citing medical problem of his client, told the court that he will appear in the court Saturday by ambulance. “He is in a state of drowsiness as has undergone medical treatment,” his counsel said.
Sukh Ram was to surrender in the court Friday, but his counsel told the court that the former minister had slipped into coma.
“Sukh Ram is in coma after undergoing angiography, so he cannot move from the hospital,” Sukh Ram’s counsel D.S. Patiyl had said.
The 1993 telecom scam for which Sukh Ram has been convicted involves award of a contract to a Hyderabad firm for supplying telecom equipment to the government at exorbitant rates.
In another case, he was held guilty of possessing disproportionate assets worth Rs.4.25 crore in 2009.
- Sukh Ram set to surrender Saturday - Jan 07, 2012
- Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to Tihar Jail (Second Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Sukh Ram surrenders, sent to Tihar (Third Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Sukh Ram in coma, counsel tells court (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Sukh Ram in coma, counsel tells court (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- Sukh Ram's surrender put off by court till Friday (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Sukh Ram shifted to hospital - Jan 08, 2012
- Graft case: Apex court grants bail to Sukh Ram, two others (Third Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Sukh Ram's surrender put off till Friday (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Sukh Ram's surrender in court put off till Friday (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Apex court grants interim bail to Sukh Ram (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Sukh Ram's three-year jail term upheld in graft case (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Supreme Court grants bail to Sukh Ram, two others (Second Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Court issues notice to CBI on Sukh Ram's plea - Nov 25, 2011
- Five years jail for Sukh Ram in third graft conviction - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: bribe, cbi, central bureau of investigation, court premises, crore, delhi court, delhi high court, exorbitant rates, graft case, jail term, jain, jan 7, lakh, medical problem, prevention of corruption act, sanjeev, special judge, telecom equipment, telecom scam, undergoing treatment