Suicide blast kills four in northwest PakistanFebruary 21st, 2009 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 21 (Xinhua) At least four people were killed Saturday in a suicide car bomb attack in Pakistan’s northwestern city of Dera Ismail Khan.
The incident comes after Friday’s bomb attack at a funeral procession in the city that killed at least 30 people and wounded 85 others.
A media report said quoting police officials Saturday that the suicide bomber was inside the car at the time of the blast. A bomb disposal squad was called in after the incident, it said.
On Friday, a curfew was imposed in the city following the bomb attack at the procession accompanying the body of Shia elder Sher Zaman, who was killed Thursday by unidentified gunmen.
The authorities had urged people to remain in-doors after shoot-on-sight orders were issued. Security was beefed up in the city after the blast.
The situation remained tense as intermittent incidents of firing were reported from different parts of the city overnight.
Dera Ismail Khan, one of the districts in North West Frontier Province (NWFP), is tainted with deadly sectarian violence between majority Sunni and minority Shia communities.
- Suicide bomb attack kills 32 in northwest Pakistan (Fifth Lead) - Feb 20, 2009
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Pak Taliban threaten attacks in America and Europe - Sep 04, 2010
- Blast kills 29 at funeral in Pakistan (Fourth Lead) - Feb 20, 2009
- Suicide blast at a funeral precession kills 14 in Dera Ismail Khan - Feb 20, 2009
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Four security personnel among 26 injured in Karachi bomb blast - Dec 27, 2009
- Pakistani troops kill 25 militants, NATO supply tanker bombed (Lead) - Feb 21, 2009
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- 10 die in Pakistan suicide bombing - Aug 31, 2011
- Eight die as militants open fire in Pakistan park (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Nine Shias gunned down in Pakistan - Apr 14, 2012
- Blasts rock Pakistan, 11 killed - Sep 18, 2012
- Four policemen injured in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012