Suicide blast kills 16 in PakistanOctober 10th, 2008 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 10 (Xinhua) At least 16 people were killed Friday in a suicide bomb attack in Pakistan’s Orakzai agency near the Afghan border, the state-run PTV reported.The report said a suicide bomber blew himself up with explosives at a gathering of tribal leaders (jirga) in Orakzai agency Friday. Sixteen people were killed and 40 others injured in the blast, it said.
The jirga was convened to chalk out a strategy to expel local militants from the tribal region.
According to the report, around 600 tribesmen were attending the jirga at the time of the incident.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the blast.
Of late, Pakistan’s security forces have been conducting operations against the militants in the area. The tribal leaders are supporting the government’s initiative.
- Two suicide bombers killed in Kabul - Nov 14, 2011
- Death toll in Pakistan blast climbs to 55 - Oct 11, 2008
- Seven militants killed in Pakistan's tribal area - Aug 01, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 20 at Shia trust-run hospital in Hangu - Dec 11, 2010
- Nine, including five kids, killed in Pakistan bombing - Jul 21, 2012
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
- Eight die in Pakistan suicide blast (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Four policemen injured in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- 21 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 19, 2010
- Pak security forces foil terror plan in Hangu, recover explosive-laden vehicle - Dec 25, 2010
- 25 killed in Pakistan suicide blast (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Six Pakistani soldiers killed in suicide attack - Mar 31, 2010
- 19 killed in Pakistan blasts (Lead) - Feb 18, 2010
- 15 killed in Pakistan suicide blast (Lead) - Dec 08, 2010
- Six kids among 26 killed in Pakistan attacks (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012