Suicide attack kills eight Afghan civilians, two cops (Lead)December 2nd, 2008 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
Kabul, Dec 1 (DPA) A suicide attack in a market in southern Afghanistan Monday killed eight civilians and two policemen and wounded 27 people, while a district governor was killed by gunmen in the same region, officials said.A suicide bomber attacked a police ranger vehicle in the main market of Musa Qala district in the southern province of Helmand, said provincial police chief Assadullah Shirzad.
“Eight civilians and two policemen were killed and 25 civilians and two other policemen were wounded in today’s attack,” Shirzad said.
Taliban spokesman for the southern region, Qari Mohammad Yousif Ahmadi, said one of their fighters carried out the attack. He said the target of the bombing was a local police commander.
Ahmadi, speaking from an undisclosed location by phone, said three policemen, including their commander, were killed. Taliban militants have carried out more than 100 suicide attacks so far this year.
Meanwhile, two Taliban fighters on a motorbike shot dead a district governor in southern Afghanistan - the latest in a series of assassinations of senior provincial officials.
Abdul Rahim Desiwal, governor of Andar district in southern Ghazni province, was killed in front of his house in the provincial capital, also called Ghazni, as he was on his way to his office, his spokesman Ismail Jahangir said.
The spokesman said one of Desiwal’s bodyguards was seriously wounded and taken to hospital. Provincial police chief Mohammad Zaman said he believed the attackers were still in the area.
Another Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid, also speaking from an undisclosed location, said his organisation’s fighters carried out the attack.
Andar is one of the troubled districts in Ghazni province, where the Taliban are most active. Desiwal was targeted by militants several times in the past and was twice wounded.
Taliban fighters using motorbikes have killed several provincial officials in the southern and eastern provinces in recent months.
- Gunmen on motorbike kill governor in Afghanistan - Dec 01, 2008
- Suicide bombing rocks Afghanistan city - Sep 27, 2011
- Eight Afghan civilians killed in attacks - Jun 03, 2010
- Two kids killed in Afghan bombing - Apr 12, 2012
- 16 killed in Afghan blast, air attack - Sep 13, 2010
- Four militants die in blast - Sep 26, 2011
- 22 Taliban, five cops killed in Afghan attack - Jul 08, 2012
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- 22 killed in Afghan suicide bombing - Jun 06, 2012
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- 25 killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan, BBC reporter dead (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- 20 blasts rocks Afghanistan, 16 injured - May 07, 2011
- Roadside bomb kills 14 civilians in Helmand - Dec 31, 2010
- Ten troops killed in bloody day for ISAF in Afghanistan - Jun 08, 2010
- Five US, British soldiers killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010