Suicidal Hong Kong mother who gave son overdose is spared jailAugust 12th, 2008 - 2:53 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Aug 12 (DPA) A suicidal Hong Kong mother who gave her five-year-old son an overdose of sleeping pills after discovering her husband was having an affair was Tuesday spared a jail sentence. Qin Yulan, 29, originally from mainland China, was put on probation for 30 months after admitting administering poison at a hearing in the city’s District Court.
Qin fed her five-year-old son an overdose of sleeping pills and put him to sleep in a park near her home late last year, intending to return home and kill herself.
However, she did not go through with suicide plans and her son was taken to hospital where he made a full recovery from his overdose.
At Tuesday’s hearing, judge Amanda Woodcock told Qin, who is married to a Hong Kong decorator, that her offence was so serious it would normally merit a prison sentence.
However, she said Qin was suffering from depression at the time of the incident and a psychiatric report to the court indicated she loved her son and was unlikely to harm him again.
Hong Kong, a high-rise city of 6.9 million with limited social welfare services, has been hit by a spate of murder-suicide cases and a sharp rise in domestic violence cases in recent years.
- Mom jailed for 30 years for killing two kids - Jul 05, 2012
- 'Spider-woman' who held knife to ex's throat, demanding a reunion, jailed - Aug 17, 2010
- Chinese mother jailed for drowning twins - Jun 29, 2011
- Teen Moms' Amber Portwood's jail drama to be documented - Jun 12, 2012
- Scarlet fever outbreak in Hong Kong - Jun 22, 2011
- Oz man asked wife how she wanted to be killed - Jul 02, 2010
- US woman faces jail for begging friends to stab her - Aug 07, 2011
- Woman researcher's suicide bid over sexual harassment - Mar 07, 2011
- Mubarak's wife attempted suicide over corruption charges - Feb 08, 2012
- Hong Kong man jailed for stomping on 3-year-old son - Jul 24, 2009
- Showbiz pals support Amanda Holden after baby tragedy - Feb 07, 2011
- Brit Indian honeymooner placed in psychiatric care in London for own protection - Mar 16, 2011
- Famous euthanasia cases across the world - Mar 07, 2011
- Murderer Amanda Knox all set to star in prison's Christmas show - Sep 21, 2010
- Amanda Knox trying to switch back to the English language - Oct 06, 2011