Sufi singer Zila Khan to perform at JamiaFebruary 7th, 2011 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 7 (IANS) The Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) campus will reverberate with melodious Sufi songs Tuesday when the varsity is organising an evening of ‘Sufiana Kalam’ by Ustad Zila Khan.”The performance will begin at 7.30 p.m. in Dr. M.A. Ansari auditorium and former chancellor of JMI Khursheed Alam Khan will be the chief guest. Vice Chancellor Najeeb Jung will grace the occasion too,” a university official said.
Ustad Zila Khan sings both classical and semi-classical musical forms and performs in the tradition of Imdadkhani gharana. She is the first woman to have learnt and performed music in this gharana.
She performs with a vast range of musical forms, like qaul, qalbana, gul, and others, added the official.
In 2006, Zila Khan made an award-winning documentary on the life and music of her father Ustad Vilayat Khan’s life called “Spirit to Soul”. She also received the ‘Roll of Honour’ from the prime minister, the official added.
- Dancer Yamini Krishamurti honoured - Mar 15, 2011
- Jamia secular in spirit: Vice chancellor - Feb 22, 2011
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- jamia to run 50-bed medical centre - Apr 28, 2012
- Jamia honours Amartya Sen (With Image) - Dec 16, 2011
- Jamia admits 27 homeless kids in schools - Apr 12, 2011
- Jamia vice chancellor to 'play' a new role - Feb 25, 2011
- German resident returns heritage letters to Jamia - Apr 11, 2011
- Jamia honours Ambassador of Saudi Arabia (With Images) - Jul 20, 2011
- Jamia head appointed to RBI board - Sep 26, 2011
- Gharanas may not retain their identity: Pandit Rajan Mishra - Nov 25, 2011
- New pro-vice-chancellor for Jamia Millia - Aug 16, 2010
- 'Jamia's minority status a boon for Muslim students' - May 12, 2011
- Girl power in Jamia (To go with: Turkish language course flavour at Jamia) - Aug 05, 2012
- Indian Celebrities Express Their Reverence For The Deceased Musical Maestro, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: chief guest, documentary, first woman, gharana, gul, jamia millia, kalam, music, najeeb, New Delhi, prime minister, roll of honour, spirit, tradition, ustad, varsity, vice chancellor, vilayat khan, zila khan