Sudarsan Pattnaik’s sand sculpture on global warming wins Berlin contest (With Image)August 1st, 2010 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 1 (IANS) Orissa-based renowned sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik’s creation on global warming won the people’s choice award at the Eighth International Sand Sculpture Festival in Berlin, the artist said Sunday.
Pattnaik, who hails from state’s beach city of Puri, 56 km from here, has won the contest for the fifth time.
The theme of this year’s festival, running June 6-August 29, was ‘Head in Sand’. Pattnaik said he created a “crying” three trunk and three monkeys saying that climate change is an inconvenient truth.
The image bears the messages “You don’t listen”, “You don’t talk”, “You don’t see”, “Don’t put heads in the sand, act now”.
“The sculpture I created got maximum votes from the audience,” Pattnaik, who received the prize Saturday evening from Anja Smolle, the festival’s producer, told IANS over the phone from Berlin.
“Artists from 10 countries participated in this competition,” Pattnaik, the first Indian to win the contest, said.
Pattnaik had earlier won the award in 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2009. He has also figured in the Limca Book of Records in the 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 editions for his work.
- Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik wins Berlin contest (With Image) - Jul 13, 2009
- 125-ft-long sand cricket bat to usher World Cup (With Image) - Feb 12, 2011
- Orissa sculptor wins prize in Moscow - May 16, 2011
- Sand image on beach in Hazare's support - Aug 13, 2011
- Indian sand artist wins gold in Spain (With Image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sudarsan wins people's choice prize in Canada (With Images) - Sep 08, 2010
- Indian sand artist wins prize in Denmark (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- Indian sand artist selected for Moscow championship - Apr 15, 2011
- Mubarak's sand sculpture created in Orissa (With Image) - Feb 05, 2011
- Indian artist to create climate change sculpture in Japan - Jan 22, 2012
- Santa in sand, courtesy Odisha artist (With Image) - Dec 25, 2011
- Sand artist wins gold in Moscow for Raj Kapoor sculpture - May 06, 2010
- Sudarsan aims new record with sand Santa on Christmas eve - Dec 24, 2010
- 40-foot sand Ganesha spreads global warming message (With Image) - Aug 23, 2009
- A huge sand cake for Sachin! - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: 6 august, anja, audience, berlin artists, choice award, climate change, fifth time, global warming, inconvenient truth, international sand, limca book of records, maximum votes, orissa, puri, sand sculpture, saturday evening, sudarsan pattnaik, three monkeys