Sudan’s opposition leader presents national reconciliation initiativeJune 2nd, 2008 - 6:21 am ICT by admin
Cairo, June 2 (Xinhua) A Sudanese opposition leader has announced a new initiative to achieve comprehensive national reconciliation in his country, the Egyptian state MENA news agency reported. Mohamed Othman al-Merghani, leader of Sudan’s National Democratic Alliance and Democratic Unionist Party, made the announcement following talks with Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa in Cairo Sunday.
Contacts were under way with all political parties in Sudan to carry out the new initiative, Merghani said, without elaborating details of his peace plan.
Regarding the western Sudanese region of Darfur, Merghani said he discussed with Moussa the situation there and stressed the necessity to support the people living in the area.
Arab countries can play a role in aiding refugees and improving humanitarian conditions in the troubled region, Merghani added. A five-year conflict in the western Sudanese region has cost thousands of lives.
On May 5, 2006, the Sudanese government signed a peace agreement with a faction of the Sudan Liberation Movement led by the country’s senior presidential assistant Mini Arkou Minawi.
However, other rebel leaders refused to sign the peace deal, demanding more compromises from the government.
- Egypt goes to polls Wednesday - May 22, 2012
- Sudan calls on US to stop 'carrot and stick policy' - Jun 16, 2011
- Gadaffi accepts Chavez's mediation offer - Mar 03, 2011
- Egypt's presidential vote begins - May 23, 2012
- Arab League chief to run for Egyptian presidency - Feb 28, 2011
- Donors' conference for Darfur begins in Cairo - Mar 21, 2010
- Clinton, Morsi discuss US-Egypt relations - Jul 15, 2012
- Egypt: Amr Moussa vows to fight unemployment, poverty - Apr 29, 2011
- Four UN peacekeepers killed in West Darfur ambush - Oct 05, 2012
- Egypt's ruling military council chief meets president hopefuls - Nov 27, 2011
- UN reports surge in Darfur fighting, high fatalities - Jun 15, 2010
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- UN urges calm in Southern Sudan after preliminary referendum results - Feb 01, 2011
- UN chief deeply concerned over situation in Sudan - Jun 16, 2011
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012