Sudanese forces on major offensive: Darfur rebelsAugust 14th, 2008 - 12:50 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Khartoum, Aug 13 (DPA) Rebels in Darfur said Wednesday that the Sudanese government had launched a major offensive against rebel strongholds in the north of the restive western Sudanese province. According to the BBC, which quoted a leader of the Sudanese Liberation Army (SLA), around 270 vehicles and several hundreds of the notorious Janjaweed militia attacked a rebel-controlled city.
At least nine rebels and nine civilians have been killed in the fighting, the rebels said.
The Sudanese army refused to confirm the offensive.
Another rebel leader told the BBC that the Sudanese army was attempting to clear out rebels from the area in order to allow Chinese oil companies to prospect in the area.
Sudan and China have strong links, with China buying much of the African nation’s oil and supplying arms.
The conflict in Darfur began when black tribesmen took up arms against what they called decades of neglect and discrimination by the Arab-dominated Sudanese government in Khartoum.
The UN says up to 300,000 people have been killed and 2.5 million displaced by the five years of conflict.
The Sudanese government has been accused of using the Janjaweed militia to commit atrocities against Darfur’s black population and suppress the rebels.
The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in July asked for an arrest warrant against Sudanese President Omar Hassan Ahmad al-Bashir on war crimes charges relating to Darfur.
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- Evidence shows China supporting Sudan military in Darfur: Report - Jul 13, 2008
- Dozens killed in Sudan refugee camp - Aug 26, 2008
- Sudan president aims for South Sudan's liberation - Apr 19, 2012
- Sudan hangs nine men for beheading journalist - Apr 14, 2009
- Thousands forced into slavery in Darfur: charities - Dec 17, 2008
- UN reports surge in Darfur fighting, high fatalities - Jun 15, 2010
- Sudan against holding talks with Juba over oil - Apr 21, 2012
- Sudan's president warns protesters of 'incinerating summer' - Jul 12, 2012
- UN threatens to suspend food aid to Darfur - Sep 08, 2008
- Sudan signs ceasefire deal with rebel group - Feb 24, 2010
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Sudanese minister - Mar 02, 2012
- 22 soldiers killed in Sudan - May 20, 2011
- Sudan rebels claim killing 79 soldiers - Apr 21, 2012
- US to increase pressure on Sudan to resolve conflicts - Oct 19, 2009