Sudan plane crash killed over 100 peopleJune 11th, 2008 - 1:31 pm ICT by admin
More than 120 passengers burned to death and around 20 missing when a Sudan Airways Airbus caught fire after landing at Khartoum airport Tuesday.
A Sudanese Airbus 310 carrying more than 200 passengers burst into flames shortly after landing at Khartoum airport on Tuesday night. An official said more than half of the passengers were feared killed in the burning flame, dozens of them were missing and the actual cause of the plane catching fire is unknown.
Some of the passengers said that it was because of the weather condition at the time of landing was bad. One survived passenger said the plane tried to land but the captain told them they couldn’t land because of bad weather and said they then flew to the Red Sea city of Port Sudan and circled before returning to Khartoum an hour later. When the pilot tried to land, the place crashed.
There is also a report from an eye witness that the fire started from right wing of the plane when it was going to land and then the whole body of the plan had engulfed in frame immediately after. Some of the Sudanese passengers tried to escape via the emergency door and did not inform officials as being reported to be missing. The airport’s head of medical services, Major General Muhammad Osman Mahjoub, said to television reporter that there are 120 dead bodies and 97 survivors.
There were slightly different reports that caused the accident. The head of Sudanese police, Muhammad Najib, said the poor weather conditions had “caused the plane to crash land, split into two and catch fire“. He added: “We believe that most of the passengers were able to make it out and escape with their lives.”
But Youssef Ibrahim, director of Khartoum airport, told Sudanese TV the plane that the plane had landed safely and the real cause is not because of the bad weather but one of the plan engines was explored and the whole plane caught fire.
- Sudanair plane makes emergency landing - Oct 03, 2011
- 31 killed in Sudanese plane crash - Aug 19, 2012
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Cargo Airplane Crashes Adjacent To Karachi Airport - Nov 30, 2010
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Official toll in Sudanese air crash hits 30 (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2008
- One killed in Sudan plane crash - Nov 12, 2010
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Pakistani daily rues political rift over crash probe - Apr 24, 2012
- Passenger plane carrying 35 people crashes in Darfur - Nov 12, 2010
- At least 7 killed in plane accident in northern Iraq - Feb 05, 2011
- Sudanese air crash toll may be lower than expected: Reports (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2008
- 12 survive plane crash in Argentina - Oct 25, 2010
- 127 dead in Congo plane crash - Jul 09, 2011
- Passenger plane crashes into Pakistani neighborhood, casualties feared - Apr 20, 2012