Successful trial of supersonic BrahMos cruise missileAugust 12th, 2011 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) India Friday successfully conducted the user trial of a BrahMos supersonic guided missile capable of hitting targets that may otherwise be inaccessible like in hilly areas, defence ministry sources said.
The trial was conducted in Pokhran in the Thar desert region of Rajasthan.
The test met all the mission parameters, said the sources.
The launch was the 25th launch of BrahMos missile for the Indian Army. The version of BrahMos that was tested can be guided through mountainous terrain to hit the targets that may be located in hillocks.
It is a stealth supersonic cruise missile that can be launched for ground targets from a very low height - as low as 10 metres. It is believed to be best for surgical operations as it has a very low radar signature.
The BrahMos missile has a range of 290 km and can carry a conventional warhead of up to 300 kg.
It has a top speed of Mach 2.8, which is about three times faster than the US subsonic Tomahawk cruise missile. This makes BrahMos one of the fastest cruise missiles in the world.
BrahMos Aerospace Ltd, set up in 1998 as a joint venture of India and Russia, manufactures supersonic cruise missiles based on the Russian-designed NPO Mashinostroyenie 3M55 Yakhont.
It can be launched from submarines, ships and aircraft. Sea- and ground-launched versions of the missile have been successfully tested and put into service with the Indian Army and navy.
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- India tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile - Mar 30, 2012
- India successfully tests supersonic cruise missile - Jul 29, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- India successfully tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version to begin this year: Russian official - Jun 12, 2011
- Indian Army inducts second cruise missile unit close to Pakistan border - Mar 04, 2012
- India to arm Russia-built jets with BrahMos missiles - Apr 22, 2010
- India successfully tests BrahMos (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- 40 Indian fighter jets to be fitted with BrahMos missiles - Apr 22, 2010
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- Russia to build hypersonic missile - Sep 20, 2012
- Indian fighter jets to be armed with BrahMos missiles - Feb 05, 2010