Subodh Gupta tops Saffronart saleDecember 12th, 2008 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 12 (IANS) Of the 115 lots that were up for sale at Saffronart’s December auction, 72 found buyers, with Subodh Gupta’s untitled work receiving the highest bid.Gupta’s Lot 26, an untitled work, went under the hammer for $283,199 (Rs.14 million).
Akbar Padamsee’s untitled work at Lot 13 from his Metascape series fetched the second highest price at $276,479.
Considered the guru of abstract art J. Swaminathan’s untitled work found a winning bid of $250,700. Another abstract artist, V.S. Gaitonde, took the fourth highest price at the auction with his work selling for $235,750.
Gupta’s second work at the auction went for $230,000.
A number of photographs were also introduced in the sale. The highest bid was for Dayanita Singh’s “Study” at $14,663. A photograph by Raghu Rai was able to attract only $4,468.
Among the women artists Arpita Singh’s work “Couple Having Tea” at Lot 19 an sold for a winning bid of $184,000.
- Contemporary masters on paper in Saffronart auction - Jul 05, 2011
- Sabavala sets price record at Saffronart art summer sale - Jun 21, 2010
- Photographs take centrestage at Saffronart winter online auction - Dec 13, 2008
- Akbar Padamsee to lead Sotheby's Asian art sale - Feb 18, 2011
- Arpita Singh sets record as art mart booms again - Dec 11, 2010
- Tyeb Mehta's 'Kali' sells for Rs.5.72 crore in online auction - Jun 20, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta's 'falling figure' to lead Christie's fall sale (With Image) - Aug 15, 2012
- Bawa sets new price record at global online auction (With Image) - Dec 14, 2009
- Raza, Husain, Souza top grossers in online art auction - Sep 14, 2010
- Saffronart summer sale to focus on modern masters (With Images) - Jun 13, 2010
- Tyeb Mehta still rules art auctions - Sep 25, 2011
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Return of modern masters at Sotheby's India Art Auction - Jun 08, 2010
- Saffronart auctions 'words and lines' by Indian masters - Apr 19, 2011
- Art, accessory auctions gather pace in India - Aug 18, 2010