Study commissioned on international migration from PunjabJanuary 31st, 2009 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 31 (IANS) The Migration Research Unit, affiliated to the Centre for Development Studies (CDS) here, will work with the Chandigarh-based Centre for Rural Research and Industrial Development (CRRID) to conduct the first-ever comprehensive study on international migration from Punjab. S. Irudayarajan, head of the the research unit which is funded by the Ministry for Overseas Indian Affairs, said that they will be providing the questionnaire for the survey and also provide the sampling design.
“We were the first to do a comprehensive survey of 10,000 diaspora households in Kerala in 1998 and also repeated it thrice. Right now, we are finishing the study done on the same topic for the Goa government,” Irudayarajan told IANS.
Prof A.K. Nanda of CRRID will lead the study team. The study is being funded by the International Demographic Institute in Paris.
“The work will begin in April and the survey of 10,000 diaspora households would be conducted by CCRID. We expect to finish the study and give the report in December this year,” said Irudayarajan.
These studies are being done to help both the state and the centre to frame policies for the benefit of the diaspora and also to have a statistical analysis on the diaspora.
- Kerala readies for next round of migration study - May 25, 2012
- Diaspora remittances 31.23 per cent in Kerala: Study - Jan 12, 2012
- Sixth Kerala migration survey begins - Nov 30, 2010
- Migration from Kerala growing steadily, shows study - Jan 13, 2012
- Muslim migration up in Kerala, Christians lose (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Kerala families keep anxious eye on Bahrain - Feb 19, 2011
- No exodus from Middle East to Kerala: Study - Feb 25, 2009
- 37,000 Kerala expats lost jobs due to recession: Study - Dec 01, 2009
- Kerala doubles allowances for diaspora - Mar 28, 2012
- Smartphones speed up data gathering in health surveys - Mar 13, 2012
- Rural job scheme causing farm labour shortage: Study - Feb 12, 2012
- Far from home, Kerala nurses a lifeline for families (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 05, 2011
- Goa University to have chair on Indian diaspora studies - Jul 05, 2011
- Kerala nurses in demand abroad but exploited at home - Dec 16, 2011
- Goa diaspora remitted Rs.800 crore in 2008 - Jun 06, 2009