Students hospitalised after consuming iron pillsSeptember 20th, 2011 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 20 (IANS) As many as 60 students of a central government-run girls’ school in Uttar Pradesh’s Shahjahanpur district were hospitalised Tuesday as they took ill after consuming iron tablets given by government medical staff, officials said.
The 60 girl students of the Kasturba Gandhi Vidyalaya were administered iron tablets in a health camp organised at the school in Tilhar locality.
After consuming the tablets, the students started vomiting and complained of stomach ache.
“The girls are being treated at the district hospital and a primary health centre. The students are out of danger,” Chief Medical Officer K.K. Katiyar told reporters in Shahjahanpur, some 150 km from Lucknow.
Sources in the health department said that procedural norms were not followed while administering the tablets.
“We have learnt that students were made to consume the tablets on empty stomach, that led to the reaction,” said a health official, preferring anonymity.
- 70 schoolkids fall ill after being given iron tablets - Dec 03, 2010
- Over 100 students fall ill after medication at health camp - Dec 14, 2010
- Assam plans food supplement for high school girls - May 24, 2012
- 37 seminary students hospitalised in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 21, 2011
- 60 children fall ill after mid-day meal - Sep 14, 2011
- Probe ordered into alleged food poisoning at Lucknow school - Sep 02, 2008
- 12 students fall ill after swallowing iron tablets - Nov 07, 2008
- 25 students hospitalised after meal in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 01, 2008
- Six-year-old girl dies as school gate collapses - Dec 03, 2010
- Vitamin A controversy: Seven Haryana students hospitalised again - Sep 02, 2010
- Vitamin A controversy: 12 Haryana girls hospitalised again - Sep 05, 2010
- 44 Chinese students hospitalised - Apr 23, 2010
- Spurious liquor kills four in Bihar, three held (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Headmaster held for molesting girls - Sep 26, 2011
- 48 students fall ill after having mid-day meal - Jul 14, 2011
Tags: anonymity, central government, empty stomach, girl students, girls school, health camp, health centre, health department, health official, iron pills, iron tablets, kasturba gandhi, locality, medical officer, medical staff, norms, primary health, shahjahanpur district, staff officials, uttar pradesh