Students faint after made to stand in sunApril 20th, 2011 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
Meerut (Uttar Pradesh), April 20 (IANS) Several students in a prominent Uttar Pradesh school Wednesday fainted and many became sick after they were forced to stand in the sun as a punishment. The authorities have ordered an enquiry against the school management.
Around 70 students, both boys and girls, of St. Thomas School here were asked by the school authorities to stand in the sun for over an hour as a punishment for not attending the morning assembly, according to parents.
The students were mostly from Class 11.
“While four-five students fainted and fell to the ground, several others started vomiting. It was then that the school administration ended the punishment and gave medicines to them,” a girl student told reporters in Meerut, some 450 km from Lucknow.
Parents and guardians demonstrated inside the school premises after they learnt about the incident.
“My niece fainted during the punishment. The school authorities did not bother to inform the family. Strict action must be taken against the teachers and the officials,” Anil Goel, a guardian, said.
The school’s principal, S. Mohan, claimed that a teacher was directed to move the students into the shade after they were found standing in the sun.
“I asked the physical training teacher to line up the students in the shade near the assembly place meant for students of lower classes,” Mohan told reporters.
District Inspector of School Ramakant Yadav said an enquiry has been ordered against the school administration following reports on the incident on local TV channels.
- 10 girls hospitalised after gas leakage in school lab - Aug 25, 2010
- Student forced to finish race dies - Feb 11, 2011
- Pakistani teacher blackens faces of girl students - Oct 30, 2011
- Class 12 boy thrashed for using mobile in school, hospitalised - Jul 23, 2010
- Principal suspended for molesting girl students - Mar 05, 2011
- 12 students ill after gas leak in school - Aug 03, 2010
- School makes girls perform bike stunts - Dec 01, 2010
- Student in hospital after brutal beating by teacher - Dec 28, 2010
- Bengal student kills herself after being punished - Jul 27, 2012
- Class 12 students win battle against school, board in apex court - Jul 16, 2012
- Rouvanjit's death hasn't deterred beatings in Bengal schools - Aug 16, 2010
- Chennai student kills teacher for complaining to parents (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Six-year-old girl dies as school gate collapses - Dec 03, 2010
- Teacher to face action for thrashing Class 11 student - Aug 12, 2010
- 12 Andhra students hospitalized after corporal punishment - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: assembly place, boys and girls, girl student, guardians, local tv channels, meerut, mohan, morning assembly, niece, ramakant, school administration, school authorities, school management, school premises, st thomas, standing in the sun, strict action, thomas school, uttar pradesh, yadav