Student’s death triggers tension in IIT-KharagpurMarch 23rd, 2009 - 1:07 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 22 (IANS) The death of a IIT-Kharagpur student, allegedly due to medical negligence, triggered tension with students damaging the director’s bungalow and vehicles parked outside, the police said.
In the evening, director Damodar Acharya in presence of the agitating students wrote a letter offering to resign.
Students alleged that Rohit Kumar, a third year electronic engineering student, was admitted to the B.C. Roy Hospital within the IIT premises after he felt uneasy in the morning.
The student was discharged after medication, but his condition deteriorated as he was returning to his hostel.
On being again taken to the hospital, the doctors allegedly kept him waiting for two hours, before diagnosing his condition as epilepsy and sent him to Kolkata for admission to a hospital here.
But as his condition worsened on the way, he was taken by his friends to the Midnapore district General hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival.
Enraged students surrounded the director for over six hours and ransacked his residence, protesting what they alleged the lack of facilities at the hospital and medical negligence in treating Kumar, who hailed from Darbhanga in Bihar.
However, the authorities ruled out medical negligence and claimed that the student had a history of epilepsy and was sent to a hospital in Kolkata but died on the way.
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- What's the hurry to bring common entrance test: IIT faculty - Jun 11, 2012
- One held for duping IIT aspirants - Sep 03, 2010
- HCL founder Shiv Nadar to head IIT-Kharagpur's board - Apr 07, 2011
- Disabled student made false claim, IIT-D tells court (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Bengal's biggest paediatric hospital - Jul 01, 2011
- President rues no Indian varsity in world's top 200 (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- Disabled student challenges IIT's rejection in court - Jun 25, 2012
- IIT-Kharagpur welcomes budgetary grant - Feb 28, 2011
- Railways to sign with IIT-Kharagpur for research - Feb 10, 2010
- Candlelight prayer for Pune terror victims in Kolkata - Feb 15, 2010
- IIT student dies at psychiatric centre - Jul 08, 2010
- Alternate admission procedure for engineering schools soon: Sibal - Jul 17, 2010
- Banerjee, Hariprasad Chaurasia honoured by IIT-Kharagpur - Jul 17, 2010
- 37 seminary students hospitalised in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 21, 2011