Students clash with police, torch vehiclesApril 23rd, 2011 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Baghpat (Uttar Pradesh), April 23 (IANS) Agitated over delay in getting their question papers, hundreds of students of a private polytechnic college in a Uttar Pradesh town Saturday clashed with police, damaged public property and torched vehicles.
Around 300 students of the Shri Krishna College held a series of violent demonstrations at their examination centre at Indo-Universal College in Baraut town.
“The students alleged that for the third consecutive day the question papers were distributed late. They turned violent when the staff manhandled some of them for questioning the delay,” police inspector Mahesh Tyagi told reporters in Baghpat, some 400 km from Lucknow.
The angry students damaged around nine vehicles parked inside the campus and set fire to some of them, he added.
The situation turned worse when some of the private security guards of the Indo-Universal College fired in the air to intimidate the students.
“Following this, the students hit the streets and started targeting government hoardings and public vehicles. The protesters pelted stones at police teams,” said Tyagi.
They ended the protest after authorities assured an enquiry against the examination centre’s staff.
- Denied admit cards, Mathura students go on rampage - Mar 31, 2011
- Three Class 11 students rape classmate in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 27, 2010
- Class 11 girl raped by three classmates (Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Clashes in Uttar Pradesh over principal's death - Oct 22, 2011
- Students clash with police in Bulandshahr - Apr 29, 2011
- Locals clash with police over death of worker - May 05, 2011
- Six cops injured in mob attack in Uttar Pradesh village - Aug 29, 2011
- Engineering students vandalize vehicles in Gurgaon - Sep 06, 2012
- Guard accidentally fires inside college, six injured - Apr 27, 2011
- Police post torched during protest - Nov 02, 2011
- Schoolboy's death sparks violence in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 29, 2010
- Boy's death sparks violence - Jun 09, 2011
- Telangana shutdown hits life in region (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Enraged workers in Gurgaon indulge in vandalism, arson - Mar 23, 2012
- Delhi High Court urged to let all reappear at AIEEE - May 05, 2011
Tags: angry students, clash with police, enquiry, hoardings, indo, mahesh, police inspector, police teams, polytechnic college, private security guards, protesters, public vehicles, question papers, set fire, shri krishna, torch, tyagi, universal college, uttar pradesh, violent demonstrations