Student barred from class for not paying fees in Noida schoolApril 15th, 2009 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Noida, April 15 (IANS) A 12-year-old girl’s report card was held up and she was prevented from joining the higher class in a prominent school here over failing to pay fees, the girl’s mother alleged. The school, however, maintained that the parent had not showed up to collect the report card.
The girl, a student of Class VII at Ryan International School in Sector-39, was stopped from sitting in the next class though she cleared the Class 7 final exam. Her report card was also held up, her mother Rose Deb said.
“My husband died about five years back. I am also not employed anywhere so it became very difficult for me to pay my daughter’s fees for some time. But that does not mean they will hold back my child from studying,” Deb said.
Deb alleged that her daughter was made to sit in the school’s reception room for nearly seven hours without food.
“I went to the school at 7.30 a.m. and was asked by the receptionist not to enter. She asked me to sit at the reception with some other students who had come to appear for a re-test. I was also told by her that since I had not paid the fees, I would not be allowed to sit in the next class. I remained sitting there from 7.30 a.m. to 1 p.m.” the girl told IANS.
Under section 24 of Delhi School Education Act, 1973, schools cannot hold back report cards for non-payment of fees.
When Ryan International School principal Anuradha Sharma was contacted, she said: “We had given all facilities to the student like other students. We had sent many reminders, asking her parent for fees but they did not pay it.”
About the school holding up the report card, Sharma said: “They did not turn up to collect the report card.”
When asked why was the report card not given to the child later or why was she not allowed to sit in next class, the principal said: “The school maintains some rules. How could she be allowed in the next class without paying proper fees?”
- Unable to go to school, boy commits suicide - Feb 18, 2011
- How a 'rich' school tagged poor students - Aug 14, 2011
- Court orders Rs.10 lakh relief for raped minor girl - Nov 06, 2011
- Court questions school on widow's plea - Aug 23, 2011
- Bengal student kills herself after being punished - Jul 27, 2012
- Open to probe on land acquisition: Bengal minister - Nov 23, 2010
- Now, schools in Tripura to charge only exam fee - Oct 31, 2010
- Haryana principal booked for harassing student - Oct 30, 2010
- Visva Bharati shocker: Varsity team visits student - Jul 12, 2012
- Whose holiday homework is it: Parents or kids? - Jul 01, 2012
- Students tense as CBSE exams begin - Mar 01, 2011
- Helping slum children dream big - and go to college (Feature) - Nov 21, 2010
- More from Bengal schools: Two girls asked to disrobe - Jul 14, 2012
- 12 Andhra students hospitalized after corporal punishment - Apr 03, 2012
- Minor school girl raped in Bengal - Aug 03, 2012