St.Stephens, DU’s response sought on plea against principalOctober 20th, 2009 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) Delhi High Court Tuesday sought the response of Delhi University (DU) and St. Stephens College’s Principal Valson Thampu on a plea by the college vice-principal challenging Thampu’s appointment.
Justice Rekha Sharma issued notice to Thampu, St. Stephens governing body and DU and asked them to file a detailed counter affidavit by Dec 2, the next date of hearing.
Vice-Principal M.S. Frank had approached the court alleging that Thampu is illegally holding the post of principal and does not have a valid degree which is the minimum qualification.
Thampu’s appointment had also been challenged in 2007 because he did not hold a PhD in any subject at all at the time. According to the university norms, the principal of a college must hold a PhD in a subject taught at the university to which the college is affiliated.
Thampu subsequently earned a PhD in theology from the Allahabad Agricultural Institute, a deemed university.
“But theology is not taught at DU and the relevance of Thampu’s PhD for the post of principal is not certain,” reads the petition.
Frank also alleged that he was often targeted by Thampu after opposing his appointment and feared that his reputation will be tarnished. He also said he feared that he could be removed from his post of vice-principal.
Demanding that Thampu’s appointment should be termed as invalid, the petition noted Thampu does not even fulfil the requirement of being appointed as a teacher as he could not clear the National Eligibility Test (NET) too.
- Thampu qualified to head St. Stephen's College: Court (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Notice to DU, St. Stephen's on principal's appointment - Aug 01, 2012
- Sibal backs Unmukt, requests DU to allow him for exam - Aug 31, 2012
- Sandeep Dikshit barred from using St. Stephen's logo (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- St. Stephen's moves court against Sandeep Dikshit's society - Sep 24, 2011
- Revamped alumni body to boost St Stephen's master plan - Jun 06, 2011
- The questions that Unmukt Chand raised (Comment) - Sep 02, 2012
- Congress MP Sandeep Dikshit in St. Stephen's association soup - Sep 07, 2011
- St Stephen's row: Court pulls up principal - Dec 03, 2009
- Unmukt hopes for an amicable solution with St. Stephen's - Aug 31, 2012
- Court asks St.Stephen's to appoint principal soon - Jul 09, 2008
- Quraishi's appointment to St Stephen's governing body upheld - Feb 08, 2010
- President to inaugurate Mother Teresa centenary function - Aug 26, 2010
- St Stephen's governing body row: Court ruling Thursday - Dec 02, 2009
- Vice chancellors appointed for two Maharashtra varsities - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: affidavit, allahabad agricultural institute, appointment, delhi high court, delhi university, governing body, minimum qualification, national eligibility test, New Delhi, norms, petition, phd, plea, relevance, reputation, st stephens college, theology, vice principal