Struggling textile industry wants pending government funds releasedNovember 5th, 2008 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 5 (IANS) Faced with shrinking global and domestic demand and a crippling cash crunch, an Indian textile industry lobby has urged the government to release Rs.20 billion that is pending under the technology modernization fund besides providing other support to tide over the present crisis.The chairman of the industry lobby, Confederation of Indian Textile Industry (CITI), R.K. Dalmiya, said in a statement here Wednesday that the textile industry is in deep trouble with capacity utilisation dropping to as low as 75 percent leading to loss of jobs.
He said that to tide over the liquidity crunch, CITI has requested the government to release Rs.20 billion which is pending from the government under the Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme (TUFS).
V.K. Ladiya, chairman of CITI’s sub-committee on investments, said that the financial crisis had resulted in negative growth of about 30-35 percent in volume terms, and also resulted in 500,000 to 700,000 workers losing their jobs.
He said that mills in states like Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu had already reduced shifts and cut down capacity.
Dalmiya also added that in the export market, India was losing out to countries like Bangladesh, Vietnam and Cambodia because of the low cost of production in those countries and their industry-friendly policies.
The industry is also facing power shortage in many states with Tamil Nadu being the worst affected.
“We already have a 40 percent power cut which has been announced officially and can’t operate at peak capacity during the rest of the day,” CITI’s vice chairman S.V. Arumugam said.
“This has hit efficiency and we run at 50 percent capacity during most days. Tamil Nadu is home to 40 percent of the textile industry in India and power shortage, especially, doesn’t help during such hard times,” he said.
- CII demands Rs.50 bn for Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme - Feb 16, 2010
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts(Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Power cuts, power holidays for Tamil Nadu - Feb 26, 2012
- Andhra seeks 500 MW to tide over power shortage - Aug 22, 2012
- Centre restructures Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme - May 01, 2011
- AIADMK following vindictive politics, says Karunanidhi - Jun 06, 2012
- Industries sagging in Jammu and Kashmir - Feb 09, 2012
- 'Mining ban hits iron ore supply to foundries' - Feb 29, 2012
- China, Turkey, Korea keen to invest in Pakistan - Aug 01, 2011
- Textile workers demand ban on cotton yarn export - Nov 20, 2010
- Southern states lagging in growth: CII - Jun 16, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's new solar energy policy to add 3,000 MW - Mar 12, 2012
- Allot entire 2,000 MW Kudankulam power to Tamil Nadu: Jayalalithaa - Mar 31, 2012
- Focus on strong education, industry training, says India Inc. - Jun 30, 2011
- Wind power banking in Tamil Nadu is unbankable: Tangedco - Jun 17, 2012