Strong start for Gangjee at Hong Kong Open golfNovember 20th, 2008 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Nov 20 (IANS) Indian golfer Rahil Gangjee, desperately needing a good finish to secure his 2009 Asian Tour card, opened with a two-under 68 that placed him at tied 16th on the first day of the UBS Hong Kong Open here Thursday.Gangjee was the best Indian and was four strokes behind joint leaders Chinese star Liang Wen-Chong and South Africa’s Richard Sterne who fired matching six-under-par 64s at the Hong Kong Golf Club.
Among other Indians, Amandeep Johl (70) was tied 47th while Jeev Milkha Singh, Jyoti Randhawa and Gaurav Ghei were all tied 73rd with one-over 71. Shiv Kapur (72) in tied 100th and Digvijay Singh (73) in 117th, Arjun Atwal and S.S.P. Chowrasia with 74 each in 125th place were way behind and need some good second round scores to make the cut.
Jeev, winner of the $5 million Singapore Open last week, started with two bogeys on first two holes. He picked birdies on third and eighth and again dropped a bogey on 14th. “I missed a few putts and also felt a little tired,” he said.
Defending champion Miguel Angel Jimenez of Spain shot a 71 and was among those in 73rd place.
Liang, who was the 2007 Asian Tour’s Order of Merit winner, nailed seven birdies against a lone bogey while Sterne holed a birdie on the 17th hole to share the lead.
Chinese Taipei’s Lin Wen-tang fired a 65 and was tied third alongside Filipino Frankie Minoza in the $2.5 million event.
- Chowrasia lying tied seventh in Hong Kong - Nov 12, 2009
- Gangjee tied 5th in Singapore Open golf, Jeev shares 9th place - Nov 10, 2011
- Chowrasia best Indian at Hong Kong Open golf - Nov 13, 2009
- Lahiri leads pack at SAIL-SBI Open golf - Feb 23, 2012
- Randhawa eyes good finish at tied-10th in Hong Kong - Nov 14, 2009
- Jeev shoots 67, lies fifth at Hong Kong Open - Nov 19, 2010
- Jeev improves to tied second at Volvo China Open - Apr 22, 2011
- Lahiri one behind leader Prayad at Queens Cup Golf - Jun 16, 2011
- Hong Kong Open: Jeev tied sixth; Bhullar, Chowrasia tied 36th - Nov 20, 2010
- Gangjee, Kapur share lead at Kensville Challenge Golf - Jan 27, 2012
- Chikka leads Jasjit by three shots in Samarvir Sahi golf - Feb 28, 2012
- Smriti fires 66 to win golf title - Aug 30, 2012
- Gangjee takes one-shot lead in Kensville Challenge - Jan 28, 2012
- Westwood triumphs at Thailand golf, Jeev finishes tied seventh - Dec 18, 2011
- Top-10 finish for Jeev at Volvo China Open - Apr 24, 2011