Strong start by Mandakini, Neetu in World Championship boxingMay 12th, 2012 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Qinhuangdao (China), May 12 (IANS) India’s female boxers made a strong start in the World Championships here with Mandakini Chanu (57kg) and Neetu Chahal (69kg) cruising into the second round after convincing wins.
Chanu brought cheer to the Indian camp by comprehensively defeating Serbian boxer Bojana Ranic while Neetu defeated Hungary’s European champion Bianka Nagy 22:6 here Friday.
Mandakini went on the relentless attacking mode against the Serbian boxer who was physically taller and heftier. At the end of round one, the score was 10-3 in favour of India. During the second round, Mandakini stunned Bojana twice prompting the referee to administer the standing count of eight on both occasions.
Finally the referee stopped the contest in round three in favour of Mandakini, who will now face World No.1 Tiara Brown of the US.
In the 69kg category, Neetu led by 4:1 after the first round. Although Bianka was a very experienced boxer it was Neetu’s attacking play which gave her the edge and the bout.
Neetu led 9:3 after the second round and stretched it to 17:5 after the third and finished at 22:6 at the end of the bout. Neetu will next face Marie de Jong of the Netherlands, World No.1 in the category.
- Sarita in pre-quarters, closer to Olympics - May 14, 2012
- Olympic medal perfect way to end my career: Mary Kom - May 08, 2012
- Mary Kom in semis of Asian Boxing Championships - Mar 22, 2012
- Asian Boxing: Pinki, Sonia, Sarita in semifinals - Mar 21, 2012
- Sarita Devi advances in boxing world championship - May 13, 2012
- Mary Kom to lead Indian challenge in Asian championship - Mar 01, 2012
- Mary Kom makes a winning start in Asian Championship - Mar 20, 2012
- Mary Kom moves closer to Olympic berth - May 15, 2012
- Mary Kom wins gold at ASBC Asian Cup - May 09, 2011
- President's Cup Boxing: Kanwar Preet enter semis, Vikas exits - May 04, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Five Indians stay in gold hunt; bronze for four - Nov 24, 2010
- Vikas enters final of Olympic boxing test event, Dinesh claims bronze - Nov 27, 2011
- World Boxing meet: Vikas lone Indian to reach semis - Oct 06, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Irishman ends Devendro's dream run (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Vikas Krishan loses a bout he won five hours earlier (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: bianka, boxer, chahal, cheer, de jong, european champion, favour, hungary, India, mandakini, nagy, neetu, netherlands, occasions, qinhuangdao china, referee, score, tiara, world championship boxing, world championships