Strong quake jolts southwestern ChinaAugust 30th, 2008 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
Sichuan (China), Aug 30 (Xinhua) A strong earthquake measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale Saturday jolted the Panzhihua city in China’s southwestern province of Sichuan, the National Seismograph Network Centre said. The quake occurred at 4.30 p.m. The epicentre was located at about 50 km southeast of the city, it said.
No further details were immediately available.
Sichuan province had been hit by a magnitude 8.0 earthquake May 12, killing up to 70,000 people and devastating an area of 40,000 sq km. More than 42 million people have been affected by the quake.
- Four killed in China earthquake (Lead) - Aug 30, 2008
- Death toll in China quake rises to 22 (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2008
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 01, 2011
- Low intensity quake shakes Kashmir - May 10, 2012
- Pakistan feels tremors as quake hits Tajikistan (Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- China quake toll rises to 28 (Second Lead) - Aug 31, 2008
- 40 killed in Iran quake - Aug 11, 2012
- Strong quake hits Taiwan - Jun 10, 2012
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Argentina, no casualties - May 28, 2012
- 6.4-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia - Apr 24, 2010
- Magnitude 6.1 quake strikes off Java island - May 17, 2011
- Quake hits Taiwan - Nov 22, 2010
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits Pakistan - Jan 24, 2011
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012