Strong quake jolts IndonesiaSeptember 11th, 2008 - 8:33 am ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Sep 11 (Xinhua) A strong earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale Thursday jolted the North Maluku province in Indonesian, the meteorology agency here said.The quake occurred at 7.00 a.m.
The agency said a Tsunami warning has been issued after the quake.
The tremor was also felt in the neighbouring Sulawesi province.
Jajat Sudrajat, an official of the meteorology office said the epicentre of the quake was located 10 km off the coast of Maluku. A tsunami warning was issued.
An official of the national disaster management agency said that the military has asked people in the quake-hit areas to be on alert.
Indonesia sits on a vulnerable zone called the Pacific Ring of Fire, where two continental plates meet and causes frequent volcanic movements.
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia - May 16, 2010
- 6.3-magnitude quake rocks Indonesia - Jul 21, 2010
- Quake rocks Indonesia - Jul 24, 2010
- Powerful quake jolts eastern Indonesia - Dec 26, 2009
- Magnitude 6.1 quake strikes off Java island - May 17, 2011
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia - May 07, 2010
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami - Nov 14, 2011
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia - Oct 25, 2009
- Quake hits Indonesia's Sumatra island - Aug 23, 2011
- 6.4-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia - Apr 24, 2010
- 7.6-magnitude quake off central Philippines (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 31, 2012
- Indonesia issues tsunami alert after 7.6 quake - Jan 11, 2012
- Quake hits Indonesia - Jun 23, 2012
- Major earthquake jolts Indonesia - Sep 19, 2009
- 6.4-magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia (Lead) - Sep 19, 2009