Strong quake hits SumatraAugust 8th, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Aug 8 (Xinhua) A quake measuring 6.0 on the Richter scale rocked Indonesia’s Sumatra Island Friday, the meteorology office said here. The quake struck at 1.30 p.m. with the epicentre at 140 km southeast of Pagar Selatan town of Mentawai Island in West Sumatra and at 10 km under the sea bed, an official said.
There was no immediate official word on casualties and damage.
Indonesia sits on a fault line, called “the Pacific Ring of Fire”, where two continental plates meet that cause frequent seismic and volcanic movement.
- 6.3-magnitude quake rocks Indonesia - Jul 21, 2010
- Quake rattles Indonesian province - Apr 15, 2012
- Quake hits Indonesia's Sumatra island - Aug 23, 2011
- Quake jolts Indonesia's West Sumatra, four injured (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia - May 16, 2010
- Magnitude 6.1 quake strikes off Java island - May 17, 2011
- Quake hits Indonesia - Jun 23, 2012
- 7.6-magnitude quake off central Philippines (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 31, 2012
- Quake rocks Indonesia - Jul 24, 2010
- Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Sulawesi, causes damage - Apr 25, 2011
- Strong, undersea quake strikes off Indonesia (Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Strong quake hits off Southern Sumatra - Jan 18, 2011
- 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia - May 08, 2010
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia - Oct 25, 2009
- Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesian island, tsunami warning canceled - Apr 04, 2011