Strong punishment to Nanda could deter drunken driving: activistSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 2 (IANS) A strong punishment for Sanjeev Nanda, found guilty in the BMW hit-and-run case, would serve as a strong deterrent against drunk drivers who are responsible for a large number of deaths in India, said an activist Monday.”I am relieved at this stance taken by the court as the offender has been booked under section 304(II) rather than section 304(a), which is a lenient clause with a maximum punishment of only two years,” Prince Singhal told IANS.
The quantum of punishment would be decided Wednesday.
“I hope tomorrow’s verdict would start a positive trend towards prosecution of drunk driving,” Singhal added.
Singhal is the founder of the Campaign Against Drunken Driving Movement in India. The campaign, launched seven years ago, is active in seven states.
Nanda was found guilty of mowing down six people, including three policemen, in the wee hours of Jan 10, 1999 in the Lodhi Colony in south Delhi.
“India faces nearly 90,000 deaths and nearly 300,000 accidents annually on account of drunken driving. We look forward to this verdict being an exemplary one that would serve as a strong deterrent to other drunk drivers,” Singhal added.
He hoped the court would sentence Nanda at least to rigorous imprisonment of seven years.
“As the accused was an underage drinker at the time of the incident, so there should be mandatory community service awarded. Also, all those responsible for faulty investigations and the hostile witnesses should be punished,” he said.
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- Need to amend law against drunken driving: Lawyers - Sep 02, 2008
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- Sanjeev Nanda, three others held guilty in BMW case (Roundup) - Sep 02, 2008
- Three year jail for Mumbai hit-and-run convict: Apex court (Third Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Drunk driving victim's family waits for a flicker of hope - May 25, 2010
- Little hope, says drunk driving victim's family (Lead) - May 25, 2010
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- Himachal makes law tougher on drunken driving - Apr 07, 2011
- Chandigarh hit and run: 19-year-old girl arrested (Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- Drunken driving: Chandigarh court sets a precedent - Jun 24, 2011
- Chandigarh hit and run: Girl arrested, bailed out (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009
- Delhi High Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Mar 06, 2009