Strong global cues push markets up (Lead)January 29th, 2009 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 29 (IANS) Indian equities markets, which opened higher Thursday, continued to hold in the green territory a little before noon as global markets turned positive, with a key index ruling about 0.59 percent higher than its last close.The sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was at 9,311.92 points, 0.59 percent or 54.45 points higher than its previous close. It had opened at 9,334.47 points, higher than its 9,257.47-point close Wednesday.
At the same time, the S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) was at 2,847.05 points, 0.07 percent higher than its previous close of 2,849.5.
Broader market indices were up with the BSE midcap index trading 0.52 percent higher and BSE smallcap gaining 0.45 percent.
Leading the gainers’ list on the Sensex at this time were Maruti Suzuki (up 4.32 percent at Rs.543), Mahindra and Mahindra (up 3.58 percent at Rs.294), HDFC (up 3.29 percent at Rs.1,554.15) and ONGC (up 2.51 percent at Rs.658.35).
Among losing scrips were Ranbaxy (down 2.58 percent at Rs.208) and BHEL (down 2.41 percent at Rs.1,360).
Of the 13-sectoral indices on the BSE, banking and auto indices were up, indicating such stocks were doing better than others.
In other Asian markets, a key index of the Tokyo stock exchange, the Nikkei 225 Stock Average was up 0.56 percent at 8,151.75.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, shot up 5.47 percent over its last close.
- Sensex rises 149 points on positive European cues - Sep 06, 2011
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 61 points up; metal, power stocks rise (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 80 points, metal, capital goods stocks up (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 111.32 points higher, auto stocks rally - Apr 19, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex slumps 24 percent in 2011 (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex gains 146 points, auto banking stocks up (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex rises 75 points; FMCG, consumer durables up (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on weak rupee (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 357 points up amid positive global cues (Roundup) - Mar 09, 2012
- Sensex edges lower for the second day in choppy trade (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012