Strong earthquake rocks IndonesiaFebruary 25th, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by admin
Jakarta, Feb 25 (Xinhua) A powerful earthquake measuring 7.2 on the Richter scale hit Indonesia’s Bengkulu province off the western coast of Sumatra Monday, sparking a tsunami warning of the geophysics and meteorology agency. “We have issued tsunami warning,” an agency official Agung Mulya Utom said, adding that the quake was felt in Jakarta, some nearby provinces and also in Singapore.
According to a statement of the geophysics and meteorology agency, the quake struck at 15:36 Jakarta time with epicentre at 165 km south-west of Muko Muko town of the province and at 10 km under sea bed.
Metro TV news reported the earthquake caused widespread panic in the town, where several houses visibly cracked. There was no immediate report of casualties.
Twenty-three people were killed and thousands of buildings distrusted in September 2007 after a 7.9 magnitude quake rocked the same province.
Indonesia is laid at a vulnerable zone called “The Pacific Ring of Fire”, where two continental plates, stretching from the Western Hemisphere through Japan and Southeast Asia, meet and cause frequent volcanic movements.
- Quake hits Indonesia's Sumatra island - Aug 23, 2011
- Quake rattles Indonesian province - Apr 15, 2012
- Magnitude 6.3 earthquake strikes off Sumatra island, Indonesia - May 29, 2011
- Quake hits Indonesia - Jun 23, 2012
- 7.7 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Indonesia's Sumatra Island - Oct 26, 2010
- Magnitude-6.0 earthquake strikes Indonesia - May 18, 2010
- Magnitude 6.1 quake strikes off Java island - May 17, 2011
- 6.4-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia - Apr 24, 2010
- Indonesia issues tsunami alert after 7.6 quake - Jan 11, 2012
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami - Nov 14, 2011
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia's Aceh, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2010
- Indonesia issues tsunami warning - Mar 11, 2011
- Powerful quake jolts eastern Indonesia - Dec 26, 2009
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia - May 16, 2010
- Tsunami warning issued after strong quake off Indonesia - May 09, 2010