Strong earthquake hits western CanadaAugust 28th, 2008 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 28 (Xinhua) A powerful earthquake measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale struck near Vancouver island of western Canada Thursday morning, the US Geological Survey (USGS) said. The quake took place some 153 km southwest of Port Hardy on the northern tip of the island, and 472 km from Vancouver, the USGS said.
Thursday’s quake was the latest of about two dozen temblors of 4.0 magnitude or above to strike in the area in the past 48 hours, according to the USGS.
A 5.2-magnitude quake was the largest among the earlier quakes that struck the same area Wednesday.
Seismologists, however, said the quakes posed no tsunami threat and were unlikely to be felt on land.
Vancouver Island sits off Canada’s west coast. Its main city of Victoria sits at its southern end.
- Strong quake hits Norwegian Sea: USGS - May 25, 2012
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami - Nov 14, 2011
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- 7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes Fiji - Sep 16, 2011
- Powerful quake strikes Alaskan island, tsunami warning canceled - Jun 24, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits off the Vanuatu Islands - Sep 08, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Moderate earthquake hits off the coast of British Columbia - Jul 20, 2010
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Second temblor rocks Indonesia - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake prompts brief tsunami warning in Alaska - Sep 02, 2011
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012