Strong case against Ansals in evidence tampering: courtJanuary 7th, 2009 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) There was a strong possibility the Ansal brothers had provided a job to a court employee who was sacked for tampering with trial court records in the case of the Uphaar cinema fire tragedy at their behest, the Delhi High Court said Wednesday.“It is a strong circumstance against you (Ansals) that you provided employment after he (Dinesh Chand Sharma) was dismissed from his job,” Justice S. Muralidhar said while hearing a petition of the real estate tycoons challenging criminal proceedings against them for tampering with the evidence.
Senior advocate U.U. Lalit, appearing for Sushil Ansal, said the Ansal brothers are not directly connected with Sharma, who was allegedly responsible for tampering with judicial documents.
The Ansals approached the high court for quashing a trial court’s Feb 15, 2008, order in which it had issued summons against them and four others for allegedly tampering with court evidence.
The Ansals pleaded that the proceedings against Sushil Ansal was illegal and should be stayed as an inquiry had said it was a case of misconduct.
Besides the Ansal brothers, the trial court had also initiated proceedings against P.P. Batra, Har Swaroop, Anoop Singh and Dharamvir Malhotra.
The two brothers have been lodged in jail since Septempber after their bails were cancelled by the Supreme Court.
The trial court had convicted the brothers in November 2007 for their complicity in the Uphaar theatre fire in which 59 cinegoers were killed on June 13, 1997. The two were sentenced to two years of rigorous imprisonment.
The high court in December reduced the jail term to one year each.
- Ansals to face trial for tampering with evidence: court - Sep 03, 2009
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011
- No shield for Kanth in Uphaar fire case trial - Aug 26, 2010
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- Uphaar cinema case: Delhi Court grants bail to Ansal brothers - Apr 23, 2010
- Court issues summons to Ansal brothers - Apr 24, 2012
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Uphaar tragedy: Court exempts Kanth from appearing - Aug 20, 2010
- Apex court orders jail for Ansals (Lead) - Sep 10, 2008
- Stay in jail, apex court tells Ansals - Jan 15, 2009
- Himachal court frames charges against Congress leader - Aug 14, 2012
- Ansals move Supreme Court against Uphaar tragedy conviction - Jan 13, 2009
- Apex court grants Ansal brothers bail (Lead) - Jan 30, 2009
- Ansal brothers get bail in Uphaar cinema case - Apr 23, 2010
- Court rejects Ansals' plea to get back Uphaar cinema hall - Mar 21, 2009