Strong aftershock kills four in ChinaMay 26th, 2008 - 10:01 am ICT by admin
Hanzhong (China), May 26 (Xinhua) At least four people were confirmed killed and 20 seriously injured in a fresh strong aftershock in southwestern China, officials said Monday. The aftershock measuring 6.4 on the Richter scale hit Qingchuan county in southwestern Sichuan province Sunday afternight, causing the loss of lives and properties.
All the dead were from Hanzhong city in Shaanxi province.
Hu Runze, mayor of Hangzhong, said all the four were in a paddy field when the aftershock occurred.
Investigation has started for the detailed losses caused by the aftershock, Hu said.
On May 12 the Sichuan province was struck by a 8.0-magnitude quake that killed more than 62,000 people and injured another 350,000.
According to authorities, some 24,000 people are still missing.
The Sunday’s aftershock was the strongest of the 8,000 tremors that rocked Sichuan province in the aftermath of the May 12 quake
- Two dead, 100 injured in China quake - Jun 24, 2012
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- China helps 12 mn quake-hit people with $137 bn expenditure - Feb 24, 2012
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 80 (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 67; over 700 injured - Sep 08, 2012
- Moderate quake hits Balochistan - May 25, 2012
- 111 killed in China floods - Jul 26, 2010
- Strong aftershock felt in China quake area - May 25, 2008
- 250 killed, 1,800 injured in Iran quakes - Aug 12, 2012
- China offers aid to quake- hit Japan - Mar 12, 2011
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- China quake toll mounts to 1,484 - Apr 18, 2010
- 43 hurt as quake shakes Bali - Oct 13, 2011