Striking Jamia students allege police attackMay 8th, 2011 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) Seventeen students of Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) Sunday alleged that they were beaten up and six of them were detained by police while protesting against the university’s decision to bar them from appearing in the final examinations.
“Police attacked us with lathis and also manhandled the girls. Later, they took six students to the Jamia Nagar police station and released them only after an hour,” said Mohammed Sazzad, a student on hunger strike.
The 17 students, who have been barred because of attendance shortage, had earlier appealed to the Delhi High Court against the ban.
The court had dismissed their petitions, following which the students decided to go on an indefinite hunger strike Saturday.
The university officials said that they have nothing against the students and that they cannot go against the high court’s order.
“The Delhi High Court had ordered against their appeal and so the university cannot allow them to appear in the exam,” a varsity spokesperson told IANS.
“It is sad that the students are on hunger strike against the university. But they are doing it on their own. The university has nothing against them,” she added.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- Jamia shortlists MA and MPhil English candidates - Jun 20, 2012
- Jamia secular in spirit: Vice chancellor - Feb 22, 2011
- Jamia to continue with its minority status: High Court - May 18, 2011
- Nine boys caught staying illegally in Jamia Millia hostels - Aug 10, 2011
- Jamia to celebrate Zakir Hussain's birth anniversary - Feb 12, 2011
- Jamia honours Ambassador of Saudi Arabia (With Images) - Jul 20, 2011
- Jamia admits 27 homeless kids in schools - Apr 12, 2011
- Jamia to host Malyalam film festival - Dec 03, 2010
- Jamia to introduce semesters at post-graduate level - Jul 15, 2010
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Jamia wins Inter-Varsity Hockey - Jan 05, 2011
- Sufi singer Zila Khan to perform at Jamia - Feb 07, 2011
- Jamia cracks down on impersonators during admissions - Jun 25, 2010
- Jamia: Sports Authority of India's new extension centre - Aug 17, 2010
- Two weeks, three sexual harassment cases in Jamia - Mar 30, 2010
Tags: asian news, attendance, delhi high court, indefinite hunger strike, indo, jamia nagar, jmi, lathis, millia, mohammed, New Delhi, news service, petitions, police attack, police station, prv, raj, spokesperson, university officials, vm